Friendly reminder

TRIGGER

Reminder to service your motor. I just serviced mine and figured out I have to buy a new lower unit. I went too long on mine I guess and it's full of burnt oil smelling milky grey glittery goop. :bash:

TRIGGER

Sniper":329vf12u said:
Bummer. I change mine every year.

Mine too but I put a lot of hrs on mine. I changed it at the beginning of last September. Yesterday when I pulled the plug the oil smelled horrible like it had gotten way too hot several times. I have smelled oil like that from rear ends and planetary gears on equipment but never a lower unit. New Yamaha lower unit will be here next Wednesday. May rebuild the old one and sell it.

Sniper

If it didn't come out the color of milk or caramel you may be ok. I ran a 150 VMAX for awhile and the Yamaha lower unit lube always smelled burnt and terrible.

Pilchard

I'd take the time to do the other overdue maintenance now too.

Lesson learned for you I suppose but there is a reason Yamaha has a 100hr service schedule.

Lower unit oil, gear lube, filters, etc can all be done easily and prevent catastrophic damage.

catman529

Changed oil early this year and it's all good. Only thing I've had to do to the motor this year is replace the key switch and solenoid. It's a 1985 so most problems it has will be electrical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts