French Fries ????

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Is there ANY way to keep deep fried french fries crunchy till the fish gets done???????

Sure was a waste of some AWESOME fries last night.

They were PERFECT out of the grease and by the time everything else got done the dog wouldn't even eat them. :(

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I use my apple peeler to cut them as thin as possible.Then cook them up till they are crisp like potatoe chips.I deep fry the taters and fish on my camping stove with 2 pots of oil one for fish the other one for hush puppies and taters.

Bayou Buck

I double fry my french fries. Partially fry them, let them them cool, and then fry again till done. You could wait till after the fish is done to fry them the second time.

DaveB

Well, not to over-simplify things, but get a second deep-fat cooker.

Dinner is supposed to be served hot. Not half hot. Which is what you will get if you only have a single cooker.

Crosshairy

We either bake the fries instead, or put the oven on the lowest setting and leave them in there as a warmer to avoid getting cold and mushy. At any rate, something is always getting left in the oven to stay warm.

We've also started eating sweet potato fries as a tasty alternative. I like them a LOT, and there is an increasing amount of selection at our local stores if you don't want to make your own.

If you are using "real" plates instead of paper, try pre-heating them in the microwave or oven, and it will make a big difference in not cooling your food off too fast when it gets served. I don't do this when entertaining larger groups (too much trouble), but do it often when it's just the 4 of us eating, since a cold plate sucks the heat out of food so fast. I especially hate eating cold fish.

TAFKAP

Most "good" French fry recipes call for a double frying. I'm not hip to the proper science of frying potatoes, but the two key parts I've been told are the cold soak and the double fry.

Also, I would use some sort of animal fat as the frying liquid.

Chaneylake

BuckWild said:
cook the fries last...that's what we always do.

bingo, we have a winner

at Chaney we use peanut oil and cook the fries last, we let then cook till they "sorta rattle in the mesh basket", ours are still crunchy the next day if there are any left

we cook ours unpeeled, we do not wash them and cooking at 350�

cooking the fries last will also help to clean the cooking oil

mike243

TAFKAP said:
Most "good" French fry recipes call for a double frying. I'm not hip to the proper science of frying potatoes, but the two key parts I've been told are the cold soak and the double fry.

Also, I would use some sort of animal fat as the frying liquid.
truth,most preferred method

Wildcat

Like some said, I use the cold soak in ice water and I double fry my fries in peanut oil. Not because of them getting cold or anything waiting on the fish but it makes some of the best fries you've ever eaten.

I first learned it from Brown and Flay on the Food Network.

Some of the best restaurants that have their fries rated #1 in their local papers also use that method, they also charge you for it. That's why some people walk in and see the prices for their fries just don't order them or just walk out. They do not know what they are missing.

Here's one way.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009 ... ecipe.html

Latest posts