Free ladder stand Monday!

gwhjr

*kidding

Is tomorrow "free ladder stand Monday" on wma's? Joking, of course! But seriously, when can I expect folks take down these stands on my local public? One of them is rusty and dangerous.

I'd love to get y'all's thoughts on ladder stands on public.

Antler Daddy

^and my thoughts…. I think if you don't have proof of some sort of handicap then you shouldn't be allowed to leave them. Any left without ID should be removed by the lgw
Probably should pin them and contact the area guy with locations. Then follow up to see if they removed. If not removed in a timely manner, then ask how they want you to handle it.

Madbowh

I don't understand people. I'm not a fan of seeing year round stands, I don't like that some people leave things up. Everyone always goes to such hateful things. Sawzall, taking it for themselves. I've got 2 spots that have a ladder someone leaves, it's on public land of course and I have a tree right next to one I sit in. Why touch it, I seen a hunter last week toting a pig on his jeep in a bad wreck he was slung from the vehicle, if he lived he won't be able to get his ladder out if he's got one somewhere for a long time. I'm sure there's other reasons and most reasons probably is laziness but IF IT IS NOT YOURS DON'T EVER TOUCH IT. I think anyone who will touch a man's hunting equipment is more ignorant than the one who leaves it up.

Now I've left a ladder before but I dropped it off the tree and left it on the ground for next year. It was just so far back in and a ladder was perfect.... the drag sucked.

Ladder stands are an immediate rule breaker anyhow, nothing left more than what is it 24hrs??????

Don't be so judgmental and mean.

Madbowh

Most of us follow the rules. Those that don't follow the rules put the rest of us at a disadvantage. We also care for the resources that we are utilizing, both the animals and the trees, and wish everyone else did too.
I completely agree accept for the disadvantage. I don't agree with year round gear being out there but I'm also not going to start trying to enforce rules. There's just never a reason to touch another person's gear unless your a GW. I work hard to respect the land I'm on and others, clean up others trash all the time not gear. Tired of the hateful selfish nonsense,

Urban_Hunter

I completely agree accept for the disadvantage. I don't agree with year round gear being out there but I'm also not going to start trying to enforce rules. There's just never a reason to touch another person's gear unless your a GW. I work hard to respect the land I'm on and others, clean up others trash all the time not gear. Tired of the hateful selfish nonsense,
You don't think it's advantageous for an individual to leave his stand setup on public land when everyone else trying to hunt on public isn't allowed to and/or can't afford to? You work hard to respect the land but don't have a problem with others disrespecting it? You're tired of the selfish nonsense, but don't find it selfish for some to break the rules and bypass the difficulty and hard work of leaving the place as you found it by packing your stand out?

Madbowh

No I don't think it is advantageous-
Them leaving a stand doesn't have any effect on me at all. I still hunt the days and way I want to and shoot/see lots of deer. And I see a lot of stands left.
Nobody was complaining about this in the days we carried nails and boards in the woods to make stands. I know about 4 of those that are really old and broke down, those trees are fine.

I do have a problem with others disrespecting it because it causes others to suffer. Leaving a stand is the last thing I'll complain about. 4 wheelers are a much bigger problem, imo.

Of course it is selfish that some out there break the rules, but it is not my place to enforce anything or anyone else'sby a GW. I will only make a point to say or do anything if what someone is doing directly can get me in trouble. I would never touch a stand of any kind, camera, 4 wheeler, truck, anything. I'm not getting that worked up over these things especially a stand left,

What gets me more upset is the guy riding his 4 wheeler past a no motor vehicle sign just so he doesn't have to walk. People riding through any public land and tossing beer cans and trash. There's one dead end road I hunt that has a picnic area with a trash can, there's hardly ever any trash in it until me and my daughter drive the road and clean it up.

To go to the original comment. If a person leaves a stand more than the allotted time unattended and a civilian removed it for themselves that is stealing and your just as bad as the guy who left it there. Yes the one who left it broke a law but so did the one who took it. Bottom line it is not right to touch something that's not yours just as much as it is not right to brake laws,

I've tried too keep it to the original comment but that's tough sometimes, and I say all this in the calmest way, just curious discussion? I'll not ever be foaming at the mouth over anything but protecting my family.

Urban_Hunter

No I don't think it is advantageous-
Them leaving a stand doesn't have any effect on me at all. I still hunt the days and way I want to and shoot/see lots of deer. And I see a lot of stands left.
Nobody was complaining about this in the days we carried nails and boards in the woods to make stands. I know about 4 of those that are really old and broke down, those trees are fine.

I do have a problem with others disrespecting it because it causes others to suffer. Leaving a stand is the last thing I'll complain about. 4 wheelers are a much bigger problem, imo.

Of course it is selfish that some out there break the rules, but it is not my place to enforce anything or anyone else'sby a GW. I will only make a point to say or do anything if what someone is doing directly can get me in trouble. I would never touch a stand of any kind, camera, 4 wheeler, truck, anything. I'm not getting that worked up over these things especially a stand left,

What gets me more upset is the guy riding his 4 wheeler past a no motor vehicle sign just so he doesn't have to walk. People riding through any public land and tossing beer cans and trash. There's one dead end road I hunt that has a picnic area with a trash can, there's hardly ever any trash in it until me and my daughter drive the road and clean it up.

To go to the original comment. If a person leaves a stand more than the allotted time unattended and a civilian removed it for themselves that is stealing and your just as bad as the guy who left it there. Yes the one who left it broke a law but so did the one who took it. Bottom line it is not right to touch something that's not yours just as much as it is not right to brake laws,

I've tried too keep it to the original comment but that's tough sometimes, and I say all this in the calmest way, just curious discussion? I'll not ever be foaming at the mouth over anything but protecting my family.
If you think no one had a problem with spikes in trees why do you think they outlawed them lol? And just because the tree lived doesn't mean the practice is "fine". Would you be "fine" with me coming to your house and staking your trees with railroad spikes?

I have 4 of these old stands on my land. All 4 of them are in giant walnut trees. Literally thousands and thousands of dollars that I couldn't give away as firewood now. Just ignorance. Why couldn't they pick a hackberry or something lol

I'm also guessing you've never been to the pinch point as Elmer Fudd stomps in at sunrise telling you you're in his spot, his stand is right there! That makes it impossible to "hunt how I want". I work for a living, so my days off for recreation are limited. You can look at a map of all of Percy priest wma and identify 10 spots you like. Go there and you'll find at least 9 stands. If you don't want to be ran over you have to move somewhere else. That is a huge disadvantage.

I wish the wma's had a deadline. Get your crap out or it's free game by Jan. 15th. It's too much to put on the GW. We have to do better and should want others to do better. It's not selfish… selfish is not sharing your queso. This is blatant disregard of the law because you know there is no risk or penalty, to put yourself at an advantage over everyone else who plays by the rules

Madbowh

If you think no one had a problem with spikes in trees why do you think they outlawed them lol?
I've so far only had to experience what you talk of with Elmer Fudd once, went out for lunch left my climber and come back the guy is 20yds on front of me, thought that's alright... then I notice he took my ratchet strap out of my seat and slung it. I just moved on, when I run into this kind I'm leaving there's no reason to deal with someone like that, won't say there's no winning because of reasonable I will stay discuss and try to work it but most cases you can't.

What it sounds like is you want the laws to accommodate you and your needs. Everyone is different and does things differently.

Spike my tree all you want I'll not let anyone log it, and that's a whole other group of idiots. Dang clear cutting idiots. Look at all federal land they've only been select cut and those forests are great. NOT THE ISSUE.

What gives anyone not law enforcement the right to touch another man's stuff. Don't matter if they broke rules or not we are not LE or judges or da's our gw's.

I don't even look at someone leaving a stand or not the issue on this thread is touching someone else's things and there's legitimate reasons things happen, granted most cases it's not right but across the whole state I'm sure there's a few every year.

So at that rate nobody is going to put up ladder stands or hang ons and take them everyday. This still isn't even the point, right or wrong don't touch it if it's not yours.

Madbowh

Forget everything said.

The original poster says free ladder stand day because season closed and they shouldn't be left.

If you live in a hoa and not allowed to have any outside animals but your neighbor had some chickens, hens only say 4 of them. What would give anyone the right as an individual without the hoa or leo to remove those chickens.......

Latest posts