Fort Bridger Rendezvous

Locksley

The rendezvous is a re-enactment of the annual gathering of mountain men traders and Indians that occurred in the west and took place between 1825 and 1840.

During this time beaver pelts were in high demand and fur trade companies were established to meet the demand. Mountain men ventured deep into the heart of the Rocky Mountains to harvest these beaver pelts. They would then meet with various trading companies who would transport the furs to St. Louis where they would sell the pelts and make ready for the coming year. The trip would take about 3 months travel one way. It was very dangerous because of prairie fires, rain, and snow storms not to mention the greatest threat: the Indians.

In 1822 the Henry-Ashley Trading Company was organized. They placed an ad in the Missouri Republic which read:

To enterprising young men: the subscriber wishes to engage 100 young men to ascend the Missouri River to its source there to be employed for 1, 2 or 3 years.

Later because of Indian problems Henry and Ashley sent their men westward to the Rocky Mountains rather than up the Missouri River. The owners thought it would be more profitable to keep their men in the mountains the year round and to bring provisions to them. This idea gave birth to the legendary rendezvous system. The summer rendezvous were always chosen in some valley where there was grass for the animals and game for the camp. Everyone was there to purchase and trade. Most of the trappers would earn the full amount of their year�s wages.

By the late 1830s the European fashions had changed from beaver felt hats to silk hats. As the result the fur trade greatly declined. It is interesting to note that at the close of 1839 rendezvous it was decided that it would be their last gathering. However a small supply train was still sent in 1840 from St. Louis to the green river where a small rendezvous was held. Thus the last gathering of the mountain men took place, bringing to an end an exciting portion in American West History.

A few of these men became scouts for the army, and others became guides for the ever expanding flow of immigration to the west. Some trappers went to the Oregon and California countries while many others faded into history. These men however left their mark and legacy on the American West.

Those who left their mark on history included: Jim Bridger, Jeddiah Smith, Benjamin Bonneville, Kit Carson, James Beckworth, and the Sublette brothers. These men were responsible for the establishment of the great fur trade road, which, by 1843 became the famous Oregon Trail that helped open the American West.

These men lived, fought and sometimes died with the grizzlies and Indians. They were the first American Citizens to step foot in and record their explorations of Yellowstone, and the territory now covered by Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Utah.

The fort Bridger trading post was established in 1843 by one of the most widely known mountain men, Jim Bridger. Fort Bridger would be a major hub to for western expansion and Indian trade for mountain men, Indians, immigrants and Mormon pioneers. It aided the US army, the Pony Express, the Overland Stage, and the Union Pacific rail road. If it happened in the opening of the American West, it was influenced by Fort Bridger.

The modern day fort Bridger rendezvous has been taking place for over 30 years. Over 120 traders setup and hawk their wares. The goods sold and traded are reminiscent of the typical goods you would have found at a rendezvous in the 1800�s. Among the goods are black powder rifles, original Lewis and Clarke beads, clothing, moccasins, knives, tomahawks, furs, tanned leather, and hundreds of more items. In addition to trader�s row, there are combinations of over 300 mountain man lodges, tepees, and camps that are setup on the grounds of Fort Bridger.

Those in the primitive camping area use only items that would have existed in the pre 1840�s. There are demonstrations showing the skills that were essential for survival in those days. These demonstrations include: the blacksmith forge, primitive fire making, setting beaver traps as well as many demonstrations by members of the AMM (American Mountain Man Organization). There is a period food court at the rendezvous serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, not to mention great kettle corn, and Indian fry bread.

The rendezvous at Fort Bridger also has many competitive events, activities, and entertainment all weekend long. The competitions include: black powder rifle and pistol shoots, knife and tomahawk competitions, and the m c.

In addition to everything the rendezvous has to offer, the Fort Bridger historical site is open to the public. There is a museum, many historical buildings, and a replica of the original Bridger Trading post that is open year round for visitors.

The rendezvous is put on by the Fort Bridger Rendezvous Association (FBRA), a Wyoming non-profit corporation. The association is headed by a board of dedicated volunteers who literally put in hundreds of hours all year long to plan for the upcoming rendezvous. The Fort Bridger rendezvous has become the 2nd largest public event in the state of Wyoming, and the largest rendezvous in the inter mountain west with an annual visit of over 40,000 visitors and participants. Mountain man run, primitive archery shooting, a frying pan toss, and cooking competitions.

Activities at the Fort include: presentations by national historians, living history demo, and games for the kids. The entertainment is almost continuous during the rendezvous. Nationally recognized Native American drummers and dancers perform during they day, the Scottish pipe and drum core march and perform around the fort. And you never have to look too far to find individuals and groups of wandering minstrels playing for the public

Fort Bridger Rendezvous Website
The Fort Bridger Rendezvous is a mountain man rendezvous in celebration of the Fur Trade Rendezvous Era that occurred in the Rocky Mountains between 1825-1840. It is one of the largest mountain man gatherings in the nation.

Held annually the first weekend of September at Fort Bridger Wyoming, this Mountain Man Rendezvous is an experience your family will be sure to remember for years. Come and experience historic Fort Bridger at its best!

Admission for the general public is $4.00 for everyone 12 years and up. Come authentically dressed from head to toe in mountain man garb, or any pre-1840 clothing and get in free! State regulations prohibit alcohol consumption. Dogs are welcome, however, please review the dog policy before bringing your dog(s) as violators will be fined. Remember you are on a State historic site which is under the direction of Wyoming State Parks Division.

Authentic Dress:

Individuals who wish to be authentically dressed should adhere to the following guidelines:
NOTE: Authentic Dress is required for campers in the Primitive Camp and traders.

�All visible clothing must pre-date 1840. These items include:
1.Hats & Bonnets
2.Shirts & Blouses
3.Jackets & Coats
4.Pants
5.Dresses
6.Shoes
7.Blankets
8.Jewelry
9.Weapons (all kinds)
�Women must be wearing period dresses, or a blouse and skirt.
�Prescription glasses are acceptable. Sun glasses are not allowed.
If you have a questionable item, please contact the FBRA.

http://fortbridgerrendezvous.net/

3rd Annual FBRA Spring Rendezvous
Bucksinners only RendezvousDate: June 10,11,12,13 2010
Where: TBA
Cost: $20.00 per camp.
Bring your own water for the entire weekend.
Pack out all your own garbage.
All fires will be off the ground.
Camp sites are on a first come first serve basis.
This is a Mountain man Rendezvous 1825-1840.
Traders and friends of the FBRA members are welcome.
Events: Friday and Saturday rifle and pistol blanket shoots.
Saturday Turkey shoot, win a turkey.
Saturday night counsel fire and raffle, all participants are asked to bring a raffle item.
Pre- Registration is REQUIRED by ?.
Segundo: Or Kash Johnson 435-213-5132

http://fortbridgerrendezvous.net/?p=131

Locksley

I did some also up to when my knees I hurt in the service wore out . Went to friendship to the shoots up there at the NMRA to.

Locksley

elauwit said:
would have loved to go to Friendship. Locksley do you have any of the foxfire books. #5 has a great half of the book about muzzleloading.

Yes I have the foxfire books and I was on farms back in the 1950s with my grandparents and saw and did a lot of the things in the foxfire books. A farmer in Tennessee and Kentucky back then killed his hoggs and built barns with his hands.
I have met John Bivens and he tought me back in 1984 M/L rifle carving at the longrifle school at Western KY university. I have met and he Linton Mc Kenzie tought me M/L rifle engraving at that school Western KY university and at Troy state University over in North Carilina. I have met Jim Chambers on his place over in North Carolina also and talk about the history of the longrifle in our country and watched him working on rifles custom ordered by guys. I bought the nicest piece of currly maple stock blank I ever saw from Jim Chambers there one night because it was to short for the rifles he builds and was just right to make a rifle like one I saw in the books on longrifles. I was a fairly good shot and could make a decent rifle , not as good as those masters in the foxfire books though. I got disabled before I got good enough. LOL
I did fit a custom barrelled mauser 98 rifle action in the wooden stock while setting up in my bed in my basement bedroom in Antioch once or twice though . But my son will have to sight it in and use it now , it sure is a nice 308 Winchester though.

Latest posts