Forgot about one

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
A couple days ago we were at the pond where there are no bream.

I threw two or three casts each with a buzz bait, spinner bait and then the fluke.

I saw a couple bream pop the surface so i wetn and got my ultralight and threw a little jig I had on there.
Jighead the size of a BB.
I think it is smaller than a 1/64 ounce actually.

Anyway, on my second cast the jig hung up and just STOPPED.

I pulled on it and it took off ! :eek:

I still say there is nothing like a 2 pound bass on an ultralight. :D

catman529

I had a 2 lber hit a trout magnet jig head (1/64 oz) with a pinch of rainbow colored trout bait (powerbait) while fishing for bream to use as live bait for bass. He fought a few seconds but popped off. Crazy what they will hit sometimes

stik

HatchieLuvr said:
I learned to fish as a youngster from my grandad and he started me with light spincasting & spinning equipment in ponds. That was 30 years ago and after nearly 3 decades of bass fishing and tournaments, I recently bought a 6ft M/L St.Croix spinning rod with 8# line for beetle spins and roadrunners on my Hatchie bottom lake. I must admit, it's been ALOT of fun catching bass, crappie, bream and the occasional 5-6# bowfin on my ultralight rig! :D

8 lb line is not ultra light. i would call that heavy for my fishing. i use a 5 ft quantum rod matched with a UL quantum reel with 4 lb line. i have landed stripers to 20 lbs and my biggest fish on it was a 41 lb carp.

catman529

stik did you have a boat to follow that 41lb carp around or did you play with it for a very long time on the bank?

stik

catman529 said:
stik did you have a boat to follow that 41lb carp around or did you play with it for a very long time on the bank?

a very long time(25+ minutes) off the bank. luckily he never headed for the middle but fought up and down the bank where i could follow. my reel only holds 80 yds of 4 lb line. i have been spooled several times, mostly by what i suspect were carp or stripers.

stik

HatchieLuvr said:
Stik in open water I'll use 4-6# line for winter smallies, but I'm talking about fishing in my cypress oxbow that is FULL of trees, knees, roots, stumps, logs, tops and HARD pulling river fish! Trust me, down in my swamp ANYTHING below 14# line is "light"! ;)

i understand. most of my fishing is open water but i would still use my UL even in your swamp.

the locals at the beach laughed at me too until they saw how much fun i was having.

catman529

stik said:
catman529 said:

a very long time(25+ minutes) off the bank. luckily he never headed for the middle but fought up and down the bank where i could follow. my reel only holds 80 yds of 4 lb line. i have been spooled several times, mostly by what i suspect were carp or stripers.
My biggest fish that I weighed was 23 lbs (grass carp) and I caught it from the bank on 6 lb mono. Took probably 10 minutes or less to get him in my hands and drag him onto the bank. But there was one grass carp that weighed only 12 pounds and for some reason it took me at least half an hour to get him in. Every time he came to the bank he would run out and I couldn't get a hold of him for a long time. Kind of weird, grass carp don't fight consistently but usually they run hard. Commons put up a better fight imo.

Latest posts