food plot

Been Huntin

this year i made a food plot it was a thicket of briars, tall grass ,and cedar trees. i got it looking good but what would be some really good stuff to plant this spring for turkey and deer. i plan to aereate and over seed the crap out of it in march. now i have white clover and alfa but it seems like its dieing from these light frosts.

Rut-N-Strut

If you wan a good spring/summer plot plant a mixture of corn, soybeans,cow peas, and clovers. Now the corn takes a lot of nutients out of the ground, but this is where the soy beans and clover come into play. They are legumes. they put the nutrients back into the soil that the corn takes out.

now when fall gets here mow half of the plot down and and plow the mowed part up. plant the mowed half in a clover, rape, chicory mix. you can also ad a little winter wheat. so now you have a good stand of corn, for food and added cover, and a nice looking green half. I have had lot of success off of plots like this. try it next year and see what you think.

deerchaser007

nitrogen is being pulled from the soil this time of year. Taking it away from the clover and alfalfa. You can add nitrogen to it. BUT,.. the growing season is over for alfalfa and white clovers.

If your PH level in the soil is not 7.0 ,. the alfalfa is useless. It requires a high ph level. Your better off going with a clover/chicory mix if you want a perennial plot. If the plot is small ,.. i would stick with annuals though!!

Latest posts