Foggy morning gobbler

Acorn

IMG_0463.jpeg
I've hunted this bird several times this year but he has been giving us the slip. I got setup within a hundred yards of where I thought he would be but when he started gobbling he was about 700 yards down the ridge. l get up and takeoff to him. It is breaking daylight really good but there is a heavy fog on top of the ridge so I'm hoping it will hold him in the tree till I get closer. I get about 100 yards away from him and I see him pitch down over the edge of the ridge. I set down at the closest tree I could get to. Last time I hunted him in this spot he went off the ridge but I had a few of his ladies behind me this time. I made a series of yelps and go quit. I see his head come over the edge of the ridge at about 80 yards and he is hammering down every other step. He gets to about 60 yards starts strutting on the point of this ridge. One more soft set of yelps and he is on his way. He gets to around 35-40 then telescopes his head up looking for his hen. 12 guage loaded with federal tss and now I just have to do my job. This is my first multiple beard bird. 10 3/4 and 9 inch beards 1 1/4 spurs. I bet the boys wish they would have got up and went now!

Latest posts