Flintlock pistol buck

Flintlocksforme

Not a big buck but it's still a trophy.
410239A5-8010-4969-9D80-F90D977FAA81.jpeg
I hunt with flintlocks and carried my .50 flintlock pistol this year as a back up. Never planned on using it as a primary gun. It was loaded with 35 g of FFF black powder and a patched round ball. I planned to hunt the big buck I saw Saturday. I knew the wind was going to be blowing right into the clear cut that he came from. I poured a whole bottle of code red estrus on 4 pads. I hung them under my tree with some doe tarsal glands from the freezer. About 10:30 a small buck came in on a string to the scent. He was under the tree and I decided to give the pistol a test. What would Crockett do moment? I got a couple mounted and a few euro mounts. I saw an opportunity to do something I had only heard of once or twice before. Like I said " what would Crockett do?" Not Jim Shockley in-line cowboy. Any way I was about 25 feet up and he was directly under me. I picked a spot between the shoulder and spine. I saw the hole after firing right after. He ran about 35 yards and started falling. The balls entry in the back was a clean round hole, no exit. As I was skinning the deer a dang near perfect round ball hit the ground and rolled. Most of the time they are flat like buttons. It was a ton of fun. Maybe more powder next time. It sure would have sucked blood trailing with out a drain hole in the bottom. I will probably chew the ball back round and go try to kill another one.

Smo

You are the Man T.O.!

Probably the only man to kill a whitetail with a flintlock pistol in this Century, Maybe even last Century as well.....

Congrsts my Friend , Well done!

Latest posts