Flintlock Barrel diameter

trex

.45 caliber.
Will a 13/16" diameter barrel be good enough, compared to a 7/8" diameter barrel?
Would the pressures be to much on the 13/16"?
Going to be shooting (steal, paper, etc. and hunting) round ball and conical of 200 to 300 grain.
Twist rate will be 1-56" or 1-60" (1-56" is most likely).

Thanks

sun

Yes, I think so.
I have a Pedersoli 13/16" in .50 percussion and another of the same barrels in .45.
Pressure isn't the issue, the quality of the steel used to make the barrel would be.
You would probably crack the stock or dislocate your shoulder before you'd damage the barrel,
Just be sure to always seat the projectile on top of the powder and don't allow any barrel obstructions to occur.

Wobblyshot1

13/16" with modern barrel steel will be fine. Don't know why you'd want to shoot anything other than balls in a .45 flintlock....perfectly adequate for a Tennessee whitetail if precisely placed at a reasonable distance. The twist may be a problem with conicals, but with that said, I once, just for testing, shot some 250 grain Lee R.E.A.L. bullets from a 50 caliber plaines rifle of mine. It had a ball twist and groove depth but surprisingly shot that bullet well out to 50 yards.

Latest posts