Fixed power scope

swd

I purchased a new CVA Optima V2 earlier this year. I love it, but the muzzle-loaders.com scope sucks. I have spent about all I can on hunting gear for this year, so I am holding off on upgrading the optics until next year. I have been giving it some thought and wonder if putting a 6x Leupold on it would be better than a 3x9. I can't see taking a shot at much over 200 yards with the muzzleloader, so I don't see the value to getting more magnification. I just want low light visibility. What are you guys thoughts?

Thanks!

ROVERBOY

Sometimes a fixed power is better. I've got a 4x that I've been using since '84. They seem like they are more durable sometimes. Basicly theres less parts that can go haywire.

CHRIS WILSON

One of my first muzzleloaders sported a fixed 4x for years. It worked well. My current setup has a Nikon 2-7x32 and I've never had it turned up past 3x except while out at the range but I know the 7x is available if I ever believe I need it. Personal opinion...so take it for what it's worth.... I think a 6x would narrow the field of view more than you'd like on the closer shots. A fixed 4x might be a better compromise if you don't want to go with a variable power scope.

GMB54

Fixed power scopes are often tougher than a variable. The FXs from Leupold are great scopes. Another great fixed power is the SWFA SS but they are heavy. SUPER TOUGH scopes for $299.

The FX-III 6x42 is under 14oz/FX-II 6x36 is about 10oz and the SWFA SS is 18.1-20oz but available from 6x42 to 20x42. Also available in a side focus model. The FX is better suited for a hunter but you get a lot of options with SWFA SS.

I just picked up a Vortex Diamondback HP 3x12x42 off Sportmans. Its a little heavy at 18oz but for $200 shipped its great glass with lots of features. Glass is comparable to Loopie VXII or a little better to my eyes.
https://www.sportsmans.com/optics-elect ... e/p/p30416

https://vortexoptics.com/catalog/produc ... eticle=978
4" of eye relief
Side focus
Same XD/XR glass as their more expensive scopes
1" tube
Comes with a 4" sunshade and cheap caps

CHRIS WILSON

GMB54":x37vjbt9 said:
Fixed power scopes are often tougher than a variable. The FXs from Leupold are great scopes. Another great fixed power is the SWFA SS but they are heavy. SUPER TOUGH scopes for $299.

The FX-III 6x42 is under 14oz/FX-II 6x36 is about 10oz and the SWFA SS is 18.1-20oz but available from 6x42 to 20x42. Also available in a side focus model. The FX is better suited for a hunter but you get a lot of options with SWFA SS.

I just picked up a Vortex Diamondback HP 3x12x42 off Sportmans. Its a little heavy at 18oz but for $200 shipped its great glass with lots of features. Glass is comparable to Loopie VXII or a little better to my eyes.
https://www.sportsmans.com/optics-elect ... e/p/p30416

https://vortexoptics.com/catalog/produc ... eticle=978
4" of eye relief
Side focus
Same XD/XR glass as their more expensive scopes
1" tube
Comes with a 4" sunshade and cheap caps

Vortex is making some good optics. I looked at a Diamondback 1.75-5x32 a while back for my 45-70. For the price point, it was really nice. Ended up with a Redfield Revolution only because I found a better deal on it.

GMB54

Ive got 2 of the Revolution 2x7x33s....Like the scope but not the Accu-Range. The DB HP though has better glass....Its just heavy. The HP is no longer a normal run. Its limited and they might not make them anymore. Regular DB dont have as good of glass and much less relief. Tacticals got it but weigh even more plus exposed turrets.

fairchaser

One of the benefits of a variable powered scope is the ability to use them to adjust for various distances. I'm not talking about increasing the magnification just to see further, but using the reticle and any ballistic marks to shoot up to 300 yards and hold dead on. This is especially useful for a ML due to the trajectories past 100 yards. If your sure your will never take a shot that far, then it's more of a personal preference.

swd

Great input all! I really appreciate it. I had not considered the narrow field of view on close shots and the impact that could have. I'll keep thinking about it. Not making a move until after the first of the year.

GMB54

MUP":3f011sh0 said:
GMB54":3f011sh0 said:
Fixed power scopes are often tougher than a variable.

They must be. I have a 70's Model 742 Woodsmaster in 30-06 that belonged to my Dad, and it came with a Redfield 4x fixed scope. It's still holding zero shooting 180 gr Corlokts. :)

The old Redfield Widefield 4x was a cool old scope. Eye relief kinda sucked but a good tough scope. The Loopie fixed 4x is also a super tough scope and much better eye relief for a ML.

TNBillyEarl

When I started bow hunting a few years back I got a single pin at the behest of a professional archer I know. I was leery, but he was/is so knowledgeable he won me over. We agreed to give it a season. I loved the FOV available when I would draw back. I loved it so much I swapped out my Burris FF2 2-7 on my .30-06 and put a Leupold FX2 4x. And since then I have been paying more attention to the situation when I take deer - and two things continue to repeat themselves (until last night): 1) I have never had the time to change the power of my scope when a shooter comes by, and 2) the most magnification I have ever used in the woods here in TN was 4 or 5. (But, when I get an invite to hunt in Oklahoma or over fields I use my 7mm-08 which now uses the Burris.)

About last night - I have an old, Rimfire, 3-9x40, Cabela's branded scope on my muzzleloader. (I would have a fixed if I could justify another scope, and I rarely hunt w/ my muzzy.) Alas, I had an 8 hiding behind some small tree junk watching a couple of doe. I dialed the scope up to 9x to check points and size. That was a first to have the time to adjust my scope in a situation where I would consider pulling the trigger (and I did). But at 55 yards, the FOV is quite limited and it took me a while to re-scope the deer after dialing up the magnification. And the foliage didn't help. Could I have counted to 8 with a fixed 4x? Probably. At 3x I guessed it was an 8. And certainly better glass would have helped these tired eyes.

So, I'm a huge fan of fixed scopes. I've even talked with a Burris rep about reintroducing one. I don't think I would have ever gone this route if I hadn't gone with a single pin bow hunting. But around here and the way I hunt, I'm not going back.

$.02

edit - I also shoot the V2 Optima. Freaky accurate with 2 777's and Hornady 240g

Snowwolfe

CHRIS WILSON":1enqt2k8 said:
One of my first muzzleloaders sported a fixed 4x for years. It worked well. My current setup has a Nikon 2-7x32 and I've never had it turned up past 3x except while out at the range but I know the 7x is available if I ever believe I need it. Personal opinion...so take it for what it's worth.... I think a 6x would narrow the field of view more than you'd like on the closer shots. A fixed 4x might be a better compromise if you don't want to go with a variable power scope.

My thoughts as well. We haven't used more than 3X in the last 5 weeks because our hunting is confined to the woods.

PillsburyDoughboy

Use to be back when vari power scopes were horribly unreliable a man bought a 4x scope for eastern hunting and a 6x scope for western hunting .

Not much is really needed now days other than vari give u a little more versatility on the bench .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk