Fishing the Buffalo River

TNlandowner

My son and I are floating the Buffalo River with a group this weekend. Thinking we would have more fun if we pack along a couple of ultralight fishing reels with spinner baits and jigs. This may be a bad idea if the river is over-crowded.

Anyone have fishing tips?

Dbllunger

Soft plastics/imitation craw. Light line in the 6lb range. Twister tail grubs are effective on that river as well. White or chartreuse. I haven't fished the river a ton of times but have a little. I'm sure there are folks here with much better knowledge of that river. Are you guys going with an kayak outfitter? I have a good friend with a house on the river right in the area where one of the major outfitters drops people off with their yaks.

Bgoodman30

My son and I are floating the Buffalo River with a group this weekend. Thinking we would have more fun if we pack along a couple of ultralight fishing reels with spinner baits and jigs. This may be a bad idea if the river is over-crowded.

If you are fishing make sure you are floating in front of the booze cruise so well before 9am.. Its hard to beat a jig head and crawfish trailer, ned rig, speed worm or Strike king micro spin.

Lost Lake

I'd pack a light action at least, or medium. I've lost some big ones on ultralight in that river.

Not much of a way to avoid the recreational crowd when trying to fish, unfortunately. Back when I used to go a lot, I tried to do so on weekdays.

Tail out riffles downstream from deep holes, and current seams are your friends. Good luck and hope you catch some good ones.

Tennrock

Crowded from Topsy down. Not too bad up from Topsy. Where are you putting in?

Motor Oil colored, 4" Berkley power bait plastic worm is almost not fair to use. Cast into cover and let sink to bottom (if it makes it before a bite) before reeling in.
Green or white twisted tail grub
black rooster tail
gold spoon

Last edited:

TNlandowner

Soft plastics/imitation craw. Light line in the 6lb range. Twister tail grubs are effective on that river as well. White or chartreuse. I haven't fished the river a ton of times but have a little. I'm sure there are folks here with much better knowledge of that river. Are you guys going with an kayak outfitter? I have a good friend with a house on the river right in the area where one of the major outfitters drops people off with their yaks.
Thank you for the tips. My son and I are tagging along with my daughter's softball team. We'll let the group start first and we'll follow along fishing deeper pools. We plan to bring light tackle with spinners and plastics. We are using a local company to drop everyone upstream and then we'll finish at their place near Hurricane Mills.

TNlandowner

I'd pack a light action at least, or medium. I've lost some big ones on ultralight in that river.

Not much of a way to avoid the recreational crowd when trying to fish, unfortunately. Back when I used to go a lot, I tried to do so on weekdays.

Tail out riffles downstream from deep holes, and current seams are your friends. Good luck and hope you catch some good ones.
Crowded from Topsy down. Not too bad up from Topsy. Where are you putting in?

Motor Oil colored, 4" Berkley power bait plastic worm is almost not fair to use. Cast into cover and let sink to bottom (if it makes it before a bite) before reeling in.
Green or white twisted tail grub
black rooster tail
gold spoon
Awesome, thank you. I wouldn't have thought about the 4" Berkley powerbait worms...

Latest posts