Fishing line question

Tenntrapper

I need to restring a few rods. These poles are used for panfish... bluegill, crappie, walleye(hopefully). I think 6-8 lb line should easily cover my bases but...which one? I've heard a few mentioned on here, but don't remember what they were. Can someone suggest a good line to use..and where to get it (if other than the common lines found at WM and such). I would prefer to just buy one large spool, but not required.

Thanks for suggestions

TN Larry

How about 6 lb seaguar invizx? Has anyone tried this line?
It's good line, but I personally prefer Seaguar Red Label which is cheaper than the Invizx. If this will be your first time using fluorocarbon, make sure to wet your knot prior to cinching down or it will burn it and make the knot weak.

TNReb

I personally don't like fluorocarbon on a spinning reel. It has more "memory" than mono line. It isn't cheap, and if you leave it laying around very long, it's going to get all kinds of loops in it.

I prefer a regular old mono.

The places I fish don't have real clear water and there just isn't a need for flouro on panfish.

WTM

I personally don't like fluorocarbon on a spinning reel. It has more "memory" than mono line. It isn't cheap, and if you leave it laying around very long, it's going to get all kinds of loops in it.

I prefer a regular old mono.

The places I fish don't have real clear water and there just isn't a need for flouro on panfish.
+1. mono and braid with leaders. lol, rick clunn has won 4 classics using mostly mono.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
+1. mono and braid with leaders. lol, rick clunn has won 4 classics using mostly mono.
I bought me a spool of braid the other day.
I am gonna rig up my newest reel with the braid and a fluro leader and see how I like it.

Crow Terminator

I've become a firm believer in the fluoro line making a huge difference in doubling, if not tripling my fish catches. Not just trout in clear water either. I've seen it too many times now for it to not be coincidental and I am not that great of a fisherman so me out catching people that I consider to be really good anglers is something abnormal...and since going to fluoro, the abnormal has become the normal. I love the 4 lb test Seaguar Red label. I spool it on spinning reels but will use mono backing to fill most of the spool and fluoro on top of it. I spooled my crappie reels up with Mr Crappie high viz line and went 3 trips without a single fish. Not even a stripe or yellow bass or a bite. The next day I brought my trout rod with fluoro on it and caught crappie, white bass, 33 skipjack, and 2 bass. Could have just been the different day but my buddy in the same boat with me wasn't catching fish and was ready to throw me in.

waynesworld

I was looking at changing my line on a lot of my rods also. I have some that go for pan fish mainly and then others that looking for bass, walleye and anything that bites. I have been thinking going braid then use leaders. Someone showed me that for bass fishing. Will it work on all those? Is there a downfall for braid?

WTM

I've become a firm believer in the fluoro line making a huge difference in doubling, if not tripling my fish catches. Not just trout in clear water either. I've seen it too many times now for it to not be coincidental and I am not that great of a fisherman so me out catching people that I consider to be really good anglers is something abnormal...and since going to fluoro, the abnormal has become the normal. I love the 4 lb test Seaguar Red label. I spool it on spinning reels but will use mono backing to fill most of the spool and fluoro on top of it. I spooled my crappie reels up with Mr Crappie high viz line and went 3 trips without a single fish. Not even a stripe or yellow bass or a bite. The next day I brought my trout rod with fluoro on it and caught crappie, white bass, 33 skipjack, and 2 bass. Could have just been the different day but my buddy in the same boat with me wasn't catching fish and was ready to throw me in.
im not convinced, except in clear water where mono will cast a shadow. if an underwater camera cant detect a difference in mono and flouro in both visibility and sink rates then i think most fish in most waters cant either. where flouro has an advantage is diameter to break strength ratio (and less stretch) which allows it have less drag in some fishing situations.

as far as catching fish when others cant, i believe it has more to do with technique and casting angles.

the guy who turned me on to gliss years ago doesnt even use leaders, he ties directly on to a jig. does he catch fish? he holds the record for the most master angler bluegill and pumpkinseeds in the state of michigan, and will probably never be broken.

WTM

I bought me a spool of braid the other day.
I am gonna rig up my newest reel with the braid and a fluro leader and see how I like it.
when fishing in the wind, keep your casts low and your line tight. most of these braids will wind knot like crazy if you dont. nanobraid is the exception. its a very good braid.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
When you do this, do you use a heavier line as backing? In other words, is your leader lighter than your main line?
The way I understand it, yes.
I am going to fill the spool with 8# braid then have a 6# flurocarbon leader.
I have seen where people fill the spool with mono, then go to braid, then leader to save even more money.
Too many chances for knot failure for me with that though.

Tenntrapper

The way I understand it, yes.
I am going to fill the spool with 8# braid then have a 6# flurocarbon leader.
I have seen where people fill the spool with mono, then go to braid, then leader to save even more money.
Too many chances for knot failure for me with that though.
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Latest posts