Fishing for Fun

rsimms

Some of you know that I am cutting back on my own guide trips. I'm focusing more on booking the seven other independent guides who partner with Scenic City Fishing Charters. I'm doing that (A) because I'm getting old and being on the water day-after-day kicks my butt! It may be hard to believe, but being a fishing guide really is "work." And (B) to give myself more time to "fish for fun."
I got to do that Tuesday and Wednesday when an outdoor writer friend of 40 years visited from South Carolina. Terry Madewell and I met in the early 80's when I was a PR guy for TWRA and he worked as a nature/conservation guy for the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers. But Terry actually grew up in Sale Creek, where I live now. We did lots of reminiscing and he showed me the exact place where his "Papaw" would take him jerking bull bluegill off their beds in Sale Creek - and where fishing became his lifelong passion, Plus two of Terry's kids still live in Chattanooga so they took turns joining in on our two days fishing.
We put the smackdown on a wide variety of fish. Some big blues on Chickamauga Lake and then we caught a great "mixed bag" in the Chickamauga Tailwaters.
Trust me - being a "semi-retired" fishing guide is more fun than being a full-timer. The money isn't as good, but the true rewards are far greater!
ARJX0833.JPGBYYL1037.JPGEFXE7993.JPGIMG_3116.JPGIMG_3136.JPGIMG_3147.JPGNCVA1618.JPGOFLP5371.JPGQBFI0710.JPGRBBN6234.JPGWFIY1362.JPG

rsimms

Is the last picture a mean mouth?
When we caught it we just ID'd it as a BIG spotted bass. I suppose it could be meanmouth? However, no matter what the coloration, in reality it is impossible to definitely declare a fish a meanmouth (smallmouth/spotted bass hybrid) without DNA analysis. Just FYI, the fish is not nearly as large as Terry's photo made it appear, but it was pushing 3-pounds which is a HUGE spot in the Tennessee River.

NumberOne

When we caught it we just ID'd it as a BIG spotted bass. I suppose it could be meanmouth? However, no matter what the coloration, in reality it is impossible to definitely declare a fish a meanmouth (smallmouth/spotted bass hybrid) without DNA analysis. Just FYI, the fish is not nearly as large as Terry's photo made it appear, but it was pushing 3-pounds which is a HUGE spot in the Tennessee River.
That immediately caught my eye. I would love to catch a big spotted bass like that in the TN river. I have caught a couple pushing 2 pounds and they are a better fight than a smallmouth. Great fish.

sll

That is a case of the opposite of what you normally hear and "the pic DID do that fish justice".......looks a lot bigger than 3 pounds in that shot.

Latest posts