Food Plots First Year Food Plot Results

JayMc

We bought some land last year and planted a couple plots this summer. Justin did all the tractor work and richmanbbq and I did the watching.

Plot one was an overgrown TVA high line easement that had never been planted. TVA last sprayed it three years ago. I had sprayed Gly-4 a few weeks before we planted, but Justin had to bush hog before chisel disking and planting eagle soybeans. I've sprayed it a few times since planting to try to control the weeds. I put up a solar powered 3 strand electric fence to keep the deer out. I'll be over seeding with cereal grain rye shortly. The fence will come down in a couple weeks.

At planting Memorial Day weekend
69A1141D-D0BF-40AC-A162-00EB151CC493.jpg

Yesterday
4F74941E-1DC8-40E0-A5A3-3AE50672C233.jpg

The second plot was a hardwood area that we cleared with a dozer last winter. I planted Tecomate Deer Pea Plus a couple weeks before Justin planted eagle soybeans. No fence around this one, but I have a couple of exclusion cages to see how the beans would fare if protected. The deer have kept the beans mowed down. I'm over seeding with durana and cereal grain rye shortly.

At planting
A6BE398D-F8FE-435B-9768-AC0C954212FC.jpg

As of yesterday. Lots of milo in the Tecomate mix
D2E8E56E-C80B-48B6-ACBF-D35A1CF3AE39.jpg

I plan to do more lime and soil prep again this winter, but I'm very happy with how they've done the first year.

Latest posts