first try with asian carp

WTM

turned out well. they dont taste like they smell when you filet them. the filets have zero fish smell, kind of bland with a little sweetness. texture and taste is almost like atlantic cod. they take seasoning and flavors well.

green curry with carp and jasmine rice:

Attachments

• DADD252D-C480-46FE-AF1B-DCE5BBC2F460.jpeg
    DADD252D-C480-46FE-AF1B-DCE5BBC2F460.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,250

WTM

this one was about 10-15 pounds. my son said those filets are huge, we need to come up with a way to catch more. when you filet them they do have red line close to the skin. so i do them like white bass or stripers and leave about 1/8 of an inch when i make the final cut so the red meat stays on the skin. the filets will be pretty and white. i also clipped the gills and bled it out when we caught it and put it on ice.

dont be put off when you catch one. they are slimy, bleed, shat mud looking stuff and have a strong fish smell and if you get one in a boat it better be in a net.

i bet if you had a piece of cod and a piece of this batter fried, you couldnt tell the difference.

another idea i had was to poach some in crab boil and then make balls or patties and have a duck or chili sauce. might make for some cheap crab cakes. would make a good fish chowder.

Crosshairy

I tried one a couple years ago. We put it on ice after it jumped in the boat with us - about 10 lbs.

I didn't bleed the fish, although based on the meat flavor, I don't think that's necessary. We also trimmed off the red meat. I didn't ever really get a good understanding of the bone structure with the Y-bones...we ended up cooking the fillets whole and then pulled the meat off the bones in pieces. Pan-seared in oil, garlic, salt, and pepper to try to keep it simple so that I could see what the fish actually tasted like.

I agree that it's good with seasonings. It's really too bland on its own...I didn't think it tasted like...anything at all. My biggest complaint was that it seemed just a little odd with the texture - like it was a bit gummy at the end of the bite?

I want to try it again and see how it goes. I'll probably try breading it and deep frying next time and trying a dipping sauce, or making a spicy batter or something.

WTM

i think the next one i wont trim as much red meat off and see how it tastes. it may give it more fish flavor or it may taste like crap. 50/50 chance i guess.

X-Tennessean

I had it fried just like you would crappie.
Had a great taste and no fishy smell/taste period, was a bit "denser" to me which reminded me of cod or maybe salmon.
Good eating

Latest posts