First Scrapes

Huckfin

I was commenting on the post by Tellico4 x4 (I'm sure he was joking) about the rut coming and going before muzzleloader.

" Rut will be wide open by bow opener & over before ML! Soooo all you gun hunters might as well stay home this year & watch outdoor shows on tv šŸ˜œ"
Not sure I understand this comment. There are multiple times during the year where bucks' bodies produce a surge in testosterone (mostly involving the timing of antler velvet shed and antler shed and beginning of new antler growth) that will cause bucks to briefly act "rutty" outside of the actual rut. The most prominent one is in mid-spring, usually early to mid-April, when bucks' bodies produce a surge of testosterone to start the new antler growth process. Bucks will suddenly begin working scrapes again, even though the rut is long over. Turkey hunters often notice that traditional scrapes have been reopened at this time.

Ski

Checked cameras today and while out I saw a brand new rub. No velvet under it, and the tree had some deep gouges. Got home to look through the cards and saw legit rutty chasing going on on the 6th & 7th, just a couple days ago. One of my better bucks is limping on his front leg like he either got whooped or hit by a car. My biggest buck, a promising 3yr old, is the only one still in velvet. I know the breeding part of rut happens same time cycles every year, but the obnoxious behavior is most definitely early this year.

Jmed

I shot a buck in KY on Monday. He had began shedding a week earlier. But had held onto his velvet on most of his rack except where it was all mummified looking. Saturday he came under my stand grunting and wheezing at two smaller bucks and a doe. Monday evening he came in doing the same thing except he stopped long enough for a shot. I told my buddies, I have never seen a buck acting rutty and making those sounds with velvet still on his head. Also saw and heard some crazy behavior out of the does last weekend as well. grunting, bleeting, wheezing, and posturing up at each other. check out his velvet. Whats up with that BSK?

Attachments

• kyb3.jpg
    kyb3.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 39
  • kyb1.jpg
    kyb1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 37

BSK

Normally, when velvet splits, it falls off fast - in just a few hours.

Your buck is a strange case, although not unheard of. I've seen bucks carry patches of velvet in November, but nowhere near what your buck is carrying.

tellico4x4

I was commenting on the post by Tellico4 x4 (I'm sure he was joking) about the rut coming and going before muzzleloader.

" Rut will be wide open by bow opener & over before ML! Soooo all you gun hunters might as well stay home this year & watch outdoor shows on tv šŸ˜œ"
I was stirring the pot a bit, but 8/30 is the earliest I've seen on the place in 20 yrs

Latest posts