First of the year!

catman529

Landed at 10 pm, waiting for another bite. 11 lbs 14 oz

5F28C571-F396-40C3-8DAE-96699A684E56-55446-00005F1CDB1F393C_zps461805dd.jpg

catman529

Inkstainz said:
a good size one. you gonna keep it?
no, after trying buffalo I don't feel like dealing with all the bones. Sure it will taste fine but dang there are tons of hair bones.

gil1 said:
Outstanding! I'm jealous.
need to break out the fly rod soon. You gonna sign up for the carp tourney? I bet you got your hands full this time.

SilverFox

Awesome. I had one break me off yesterday in the river. I got him up beside me and when I switched hands with the rod to belly lift him he took out with the line wrapped around me... No drag equals broke line.

He was around 28-30 inches long... Any idea what he would weigh? I've still never caught a carp. That was the first one I've ever had hooked up. It was a heck of a fight on a 7 medium and 8 pound line in the current of the river.

catman529

SilverFox said:
Awesome. I had one break me off yesterday in the river. I got him up beside me and when I switched hands with the rod to belly lift him he took out with the line wrapped around me... No drag equals broke line.

He was around 28-30 inches long... Any idea what he would weigh? I've still never caught a carp. That was the first one I've ever had hooked up. It was a heck of a fight on a 7 medium and 8 pound line in the current of the river.
he would be 10-15 lbs or a little more if he was a fat one. I love to catch them on 6 lb line, makes you wonder if you will land it sometimes. Last nights fish was on 7 ft med-heavy and 12 lb line. One thing I never ever do is wrap the line around my hand. :D. Just grabbing the fish will show you how muscular they are. Need a good grip on them, preferably with 2 hands. What did you hook yours on?

Crosshairy

catman529 said:
SilverFox said:

he would be 10-15 lbs or a little more if he was a fat one. I love to catch them on 6 lb line, makes you wonder if you will land it sometimes. Last nights fish was on 7 ft med-heavy and 12 lb line. One thing I never ever do is wrap the line around my hand. :D. Just grabbing the fish will show you how muscular they are. Need a good grip on them, preferably with 2 hands. What did you hook yours on?

Get one of those collapsible landing nets. If it doesn't already come with one, put a rope/lanyard on it that will let you sling it across your back if you are walking into a spot. Most big fish on light line that are lost are broke off right in front of the angler.

SilverFox

A rattle trap... Yeah I know, sounds stupid. I don't know why he would try to eat that. I usually play the fish out and I thought I had him played out, before I belly them. On smallmouth when you get them beside you all you have to do it put your hand under their belly and lift... They go motionless when you do that. I take it that will not work in a carp. LOL

catman529

Crosshairy said:
catman529 said:
SilverFox said:

Get one of those collapsible landing nets. If it doesn't already come with one, put a rope/lanyard on it that will let you sling it across your back if you are walking into a spot. Most big fish on light line that are lost are broke off right in front of the angler.
I prefer to use a net for the big boys. But I have also landed some of my biggest fish by hand. Usually have to get in the water for the real big ones if you don't have a net.

Latest posts