First Fawn on the ground

wobblegobble

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2010
Messages
1,541
Location
tn
They are just hitting the ground in our area and will continue to drop through September!

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.
 

Attachments

    You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Madbowh

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Sep 30, 2020
Messages
157
Location
Seviercounty
Yea rally where are you at, must be way down south for them to just drop. Definitely turkey season births here
 

wobblegobble

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2010
Messages
1,541
Location
tn
We are in southern middle TN, people tell us every year we are crazy when we say our first rut is in mid to late December!
 

GreeneGriz

Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2021
Messages
22
Location
Greene County
I seen a fawn with a dried umbilical cord still on it and barely able to keep up with its mama this morning.
Last spring I watched a buck breed a yearling doe on March 18th after chasing her back and forth across a picked corn field.
our peak rut hits around mid December here.
 

wobblegobble

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2010
Messages
1,541
Location
tn
More evidence
 

Attachments

    You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

BSK

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 11, 1999
Messages
69,679
Location
Nashville, TN
Williamson Co.
I have fawns currently loosing spots and does still pregnant. Amazing!
We have a VERY early rut on my place, yet every year I had a particular doe that would still be pregnant when I would start my photo census in early August. Individual deer are just that, individuals. Some does have a very late estrus built into their DNA.
 

tree_ghost

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Jan 19, 2014
Messages
5,980
Location
mboro, tennessee
We have a VERY early rut on my place, yet every year I had a particular doe that would still be pregnant when I would start my photo census in early August. Individual deer are just that, individuals. Some does have a very late estrus built into their DNA.
They are everywhere in between also. It tells me that you’ve got a chance to kill a bucks chasing a doe anytime from early Oct till close of season!
 

BSK

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 11, 1999
Messages
69,679
Location
Nashville, TN
They are everywhere in between also. It tells me that you’ve got a chance to kill a bucks chasing a doe anytime from early Oct till close of season!
That is correct. The "peak" of breeding, in a well balanced deer herd, lasts about 5 weeks. That "peak" is defined by 95% of conceptions. But that still leaves 5%. That 5% could be at any time. In addition, you have does that are incapable of conceiving, and this may be as much as 5% of all adult females. These does will come back into estrus over and over, with bucks chasing them each time, right into spring.
 
Top