First Buck

batten_down

I put another picture on the front to give you a better perspective on the deer. My son is 13 and has been deer hunting since he was 6. He has killed other deer but never a buck. For some reason he has passed several bucks over the years . I have never told him to do that and it his age I would have shot every buck he had seen up to this point! Lol, We we're in a place where a good thicket met thick hardwoods. I had told him that he may not see many deer but this was the type place an old big one might ease through. We were on the ground on our turkey seats as he is not fond of heights and I don't push the issue( lots of deer killed off the ground). Around 945 two doe come in above us in the thick hardwoods and moved on about their business. I kept watching that way as my son was looking towards the thicket, we had found some huge rubs that were fresh on the edge so it kept his attention. Around 1015 " Dad there is a deer, it's a buck" . As I turned to look I didn't expect what I was about to see. The deer was 50 yards and had no clue we were in the country. All I could say was" get on him ". I was about to breakdown as what to me was a clear shot was not for my son. The deer started to slowly walk away when my son cuts loose. He had picked an opening and was just waiting on the buck to step in it. The deer mule kicked and I heard it crash. Even with that I was afraid to say anything for sure. I kept asking him did that deer mule kick like I thought. " Yes Dad". We waited 15 minutes and started tracking the deer , didn't see any blood so I told him that we needed to slow down and start over. I realized we were a bit too high and I immediately found blood a little lower on a deer trail. As I followed the blood head down my son said the words I wanted to hear, "Dad , there he is" . I am telling you when I seen that buck laying there I almost come unglued! I hunt and have been blessed to kill some good deer but I was more excited for him than I have ever been. There was definitely no shrinkage . I knew it was good but I didn't realize how good it was til we laid our hands on him. My son realizes how blessed he is and knows those don't happen often if at all. Thanks for all the positive comments , I usually don't post a ton of pictures but I thought that one was a deer you guys would enjoy! Thanks again!
Great buck. And great story, thank you for sharing. Congratulations to you both👍🏻

Latest posts