First Bow

Weegee

I want to start bowhunting. Between ML and rifle seasons, I have no problem filling the freezer. So, if I don't kill anything during bow season, it's no big deal to me. With that in mind, I think I am going to get a bow and extend my hunting time. My plan is to order a 55# takedown recurve at the beginning of March, and take the next 6 months to get it dialed in. I will limit my range based on the accuracy I'm able to work up to. This is just a sanity check, here. Am I stupid/crazy for going from no bow hunting straight into traditional?

Lost Lake

No, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I'd recommend going a little lighter in poundage though.

Building good form is crucial, and I learned the hard way not to overbow myself.

A 40-45 pound bow will kill any deer that walks, and your shooting form will thank you for it.

Weegee

No, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I'd recommend going a little lighter in poundage though.

Building good form is crucial, and I learned the hard way not to overbow myself.

A 40-45 pound bow will kill any deer that walks, and your shooting form will thank you for it.
OK, that's good to know. I guess one of the advantages of the takedown is I can get different limbs if I want a different draw weight...

tree_ghost

I am VERY new to traditional archery. I have been practicing with a 40# bow to learn on. It's been a blast so far, in fact I just purchased another bow yesterday. The most important thing I've learned so far is to have FUN while your shooting. This is a very humbling discipline but extremely rewarding when the arrow finds the mark!

david k.

Have you decided between recurve or longbow? Shoot both if you can. I have both and actually prefer longbows.

45 lbs is plenty for deer...shoot heavy arrows with sharp, cut on contact broadheads. I have 3 trad bows all in the 43-48 lb range and I'm able to shoot the same arrow from all 3. I personally like the 3 blade broadheads from VPA but have shot Magnus Stingers and Stinger Buzzcuts too...lots of good broadheads out there.

I consider myself a pretty good shot and I shoot a lot but I still "cheat" when I go hunting with a trad bow....

Shooting from a tree stand is different than shooting from the ground so I put a tiny thin piece of tape on the back of my riser to give me an unobtrusive but visual indicator of proper elevation for a 20 yard shot. When I draw and anchor I can use the tiny piece of tape almost like a sight to gauge my elevation. Right and left is easier because your arrow should point at the deer. I wouldn't shoot any farther than 25 yards with trad gear but at 25 I can just hold a few inches high and at 10 a few inches low.

lit your interested in seeing what I'm talking about, PM me and I'll text you a picture of what I'm doing. It works for me and I'd be very confident out to 25.

Good luck,
David

david k.

I'd tell you to shoot 3D tournaments too...and being in Davidson County you have 2 GREAT CLUBS close by. Buck Hollow in Dickson, Tn has regular shoots and one of the best shoots in the area is the TN Classic hosted by Twin Oaks Bowhunters in Chapmansboro, TN on the weekend of April 30 - May 2....I'll be there for sure....

The TN Classic is a big event....lots of vendors, food, drink and camping is available. Lots of guys go early in the week and there will be folks there (and equipment) if you want to learn how to knap flint; they'll even help you make your own self bow, etc.

Weegee

Have you decided between recurve or longbow? Shoot both if you can. I have both and actually prefer longbows.

45 lbs is plenty for deer...shoot heavy arrows with sharp, cut on contact broadheads. I have 3 trad bows all in the 43-48 lb range and I'm able to shoot the same arrow from all 3. I personally like the 3 blade broadheads from VPA but have shot Magnus Stingers and Stinger Buzzcuts too...lots of good broadheads out there.

I consider myself a pretty good shot and I shoot a lot but I still "cheat" when I go hunting with a trad bow....

Shooting from a tree stand is different than shooting from the ground so I put a tiny thin piece of tape on the back of my riser to give me an unobtrusive but visual indicator of proper elevation for a 20 yard shot. When I draw and anchor I can use the tiny piece of tape almost like a sight to gauge my elevation. Right and left is easier because your arrow should point at the deer. I wouldn't shoot any farther than 25 yards with trad gear but at 25 I can just hold a few inches high and at 10 a few inches low.

lit your interested in seeing what I'm talking about, PM me and I'll text you a picture of what I'm doing. It works for me and I'd be very confident out to 25.

Good luck,
David
The bow I've been eyeing is a takedown recurve. I'm going to play around with as many aiming methods as I can, but I may hit you up when I get the bow in hand. I DEFINITELY plan to do a lot of shooting from my stand before hunting. My backyard could possibly work for that, but if not there's a greenway close by with tons of space.

BigRed1080

I picked up a Ben-Pearson BP-H70 45 pound draw weight. Craigslist special for $50. Came with arrows and a glove.

Attachments

• AF004042-B4D0-47EE-AB2E-B8347F1FA085.png
    AF004042-B4D0-47EE-AB2E-B8347F1FA085.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
  • 14F71E2B-AD4D-4108-A4AD-1A3F8C63293C.jpeg
    14F71E2B-AD4D-4108-A4AD-1A3F8C63293C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
  • 6453C68E-2549-4DF8-8266-773EEE534AA2.jpeg
    6453C68E-2549-4DF8-8266-773EEE534AA2.jpeg
    999.3 KB · Views: 73

eddie c

The seller had it restrung in 2020 at sportsman's warehouse in Rutherford co he started. Looks good... I have shot it 20/30 times in the garage at about 5 yards, and no cracks or loud breaks yet, haha.
I liked your post BUT make sure it's a B50 or B55 string. Those old bows aren't make to handle fast flight string. Some of today's sporting goods employees don't know that.

tree_ghost

I liked your post BUT make sure it's a B50 or B55 string. Those old bows aren't make to handle fast flight string. Some of today's sporting goods employees don't know that.
It's my understanding that a bow that can take fast flight strings must have reinforced limb tips to accommodate the lack of stretch in the FF strings compared to a Dacron string. Is this correct?

eddie c

It's my understanding that a bow that can take fast flight strings must have reinforced limb tips to accommodate the lack of stretch in the FF strings compared to a Dacron string. Is this correct?
Yes, that's the way I understand it also. Although it is also said that if you pad the loops(adding extra strands of string to the loops) to cushion the tips, fast flight can be used. I haven't tried it.

david k.

Yes, that's the way I understand it also. Although it is also said that if you pad the loops(adding extra strands of string to the loops) to cushion the tips, fast flight can be used. I haven't tried it.
I've heard that too but I've never been brave enough to try it! That little bit of extra speed wont make me feel any better if I loose an eye or a tooth! LOL!!!

eddie c

I make my own strings (flemish) but no more than I make I'm not comfortable making any for someone else.
I've tried making an padded loop just to see if I could and it was a pain.
I've been thinking about trying a endless loop to see if they last longer. I wear the loops out before the rest of it.

Latest posts