Fire Forming Brass

keystonecop

I bought me a 6.5 Grendel the other day and 7.62x39 brass is real close to the Grendel once U resize it.
I have never fire formed any brass, so I guess my question is, can I resize it put in a minimum load or powder and then shoot it? Lapua AK Brass is $40 a hundred cheaper than Lapua Grendel brass.
Any help will be greatly appreciated in this. The only bad thing is the lapua Grendel brass pocket is a small rifle primer and the AK is a large primer.
And don't mess with any Privi Partisan Brass. In my OPINION this stuff is Crap. New brass had lose primer pockets on the first load.

Jcalder

I don't know the specs and won't speculate on that. I have sized to 308 to 243. You may have to neck turn depending on how tight your chamber is. That's another possibility that you may run into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter 257W

I don't know anything about the 6.5 Grendel and how it compares to the 7.62x39, but assuming the former can be made from the latter, and assuming you have run them through the full length sizer die, then you are correct that loading a minimum charge of powder and firing is all there is to fire-forming the brass. I have the wildcat 22 CHeetah and I usually use near Max charges when fire-forming after I found that the rifle was accurate enough to varmint hunt with even when fire-forming brass. It's kind of fun to load a cartridge with rounded shoulders into the chamber, pull the trigger and extract a totally different looking piece of brass.

What you don't want to do is reduce the powder charge so much while forming brass that you don't have enough pressure to fully push the brass against all sides of the chamber. I used to read about wildcatters using fast burning pistol powders loaded under a bunch of cream of wheat to form brass but that is something I never tried. Seemed to be a lot of Kentucky windage in getting it to work properly. :shock: :mrgreen:

mr.big

if you count the 100 bullets,primers and powder to FF the brass it will cost more than 40$ not counting the extra wear on the bbl,,its like driving 50 miles to save 3 cents a gallon on gas,,

Hunter 257W

Agree with you there MR. Big on the cost of the components. The barrel life is one reason I would often hunt with unformed brass in the CHeetah. Even a stainless barrel isn't going to last long at over 4,000 ft/sec. If you are just blasting into a dirt pile to form brass, you are losing a lot of barrel life for nothing. OF course if it's a wildcat you have no choice as there is no commercial source of brass for most of them.

keystonecop

Ok thx guys
I bought lapua Grendel brass and Lapua AK brass
After resizing the Lapua Ak brass I just have to fire form it
I found some h335 for 20 a lb and will use that and have some factory seconds I got fro Midway to use as projectiles
I've never done this and thought it would be fun to learn and do
For some reason these new odd ball calibers have my interest
I've got a 6.5 creedmoor a 6.5 Grendel and a .300 blk out and even built a 6BR
It's amazing what u can get small calibers to do
U never kno a 6.5x55 Swiss might be in my future
Or maybe a 6MM Creedmoor or a 6x47

Hunter 257W

I love the oddballs too. It's fun to tell somebody what you are shooting and see the look on their face when it's something they've never heard of. Another positive is that if your guns ever get stolen, they are so odd that the no-account thief would have a hard time getting rid of them because nobody would know where to get ammo! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: