Finally on the board

rem270

Just got permission on this 800 acres on Monday so didn't really know what to expect. Me and a buddy went and looked at it Monday afternoon and surprisingly seen about 10 birds with 3 of them being gobblers. 800 acres seems like a lot but it's river bottom land with a bunch of cut over so really only about 200 acres is huntable for turkeys but still a good chunk. Got a little too close to them Tues morning and they eased away from us after fly down. About 830 had one come in off the river field but he was skittish from the start. My buddy ended up missing him at 43 yards.

This morning we were in and set up before 445 and set up on down the field where they should feed down to us. Once they started gobbling they were in the same spot from the day before so thought we had a good chance. Instead of flying down in the field the pitched out across the woods and into the river bottom field. 30 mins later they crossed back into the field we were at but super skittish again. One came in on my side and the other went up a finger in the field away from us. He got to a dip in the field about 35 yards and used it to walk in the woods so didn't give me any kind of shot. I told my buddy after the hunt that although no one is supposed to be hunting there there's got to be a lot of trespassing and pressure going on on this property.

We left there and went to my place in KY with no luck so we headed back to the same farm from this morning. About 2 we had a gobbler come out about 200 yards and hang around a shady part of the field with a hen. Not long after 2 jakes came in and he got to running them in circles and ran them off towards us and he followed slowly. They fed in from our right and he hugged the wood line and came in from my left and presented about a 15 yard shot. 10.5" beard and 1 1/8" spurs.

20230419_184511.jpg

20230419_184543.jpg

Latest posts