field hunting or woods

field or woods

• Total voters

Eli103

i'm curious to see if y'all like an open field or the timber a little bit better. for me i'm split. they both have their pros and cons. also do y'all sit and wait for one to come in or chase em down.

Layne

If the turkeys will oblige me I prefer the woods, if I have to hunt a field I prefer it to be a narrow field, hunting them on a large field just drives me nuts and ends up wasting good hunting light... oh and I definitely prefer to go get em...

Dennis

If I am going to sit somewhere for a few hours, I enjoy the sights, smells and sounds of the woods, as opposed to staring into an open field.

However, when it comes to killing a nice gobbler, I like my odds when it is one that struts around in a field. I know a lot of guys say those field gobblers are difficult to tag, but that has not been my experience. They often don't like to come to a call - that is true. But they can be very predictable in terms of how they enter or leave the field, which is all I need to know.

BigRod

If I am going to sit somewhere for a few hours, I enjoy the sights, smells and sounds of the woods, as opposed to staring into an open field.

However, when it comes to killing a nice gobbler, I like my odds when it is one that struts around in a field. I know a lot of guys say those field gobblers are difficult to tag, but that has not been my experience. They often don't like to come to a call - that is true. But they can be very predictable in terms of how they enter or leave the field, which is all I need to know.
I'll agree with this post. I had 3 Toms that i could almost set my watch by of how they entered a field and left the field last year. They knew where and when they wanted to go and there was a call I could make to change their minds.

megalomaniac

I prefer to hunt and kill birds in the woods, but I also enjoy actually watching them, especially if I haven't gotten a woods bird into range in a while. That's when the field hunts come into play.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I'm going to admit that field birds are an absolute pain for me. I've killed a couple in the last 25-30 years but I am no good with them...except the two times I used decoys when we killed four. I'm more successful in the woods.

tree_ghost

I'll kill them wherever they want to die but personally to have one screaming his head off as he appears slowly over the crest of a rise in the timber is how I like it best!

Latest posts