feral cat

BigCityBubba

What is the law on shooting feral cats? Is it legal at night? Someone dumped off a 2 or 3 month old kitten on my street. He is definitely not feral and he has grown on me. I swear he was a dog in a previous life. I have not let him in the house but I feed him and set him up with a bed outside. I have been contemplating letting him in the house. Don't want him spraying so I was thinking of getting him fixed before letting him in. Also, if I don't get him fixed, he will probably be dead in a few months in my area. There are lots of bobcats, feral cats, and coyotes around. This isn't the cat I am talking about in case you were wondering. There is a feral cat that has been trying to get him. He will actually come up on my deck to try and get the kitten. I am not sure why. The kitten is not old enough to be competition for him. I don't think he wants to eat him. I have a thermal and watched the feral cat walk right by a rabbit without giving him any thought. He has come up on my deck twice to get my cat and when I go outside he runs off and sits and watches from a distance in the dark. I would love to put my thermal on my 10/22 and deal with him. I imagine it's illegal. I don't know of any other way to get rid of him and if I don't he will eventually get my cat. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the feral cat that won't put my cat at risk?

Last edited:

JCDEERMAN

boom smile GIF

Don't know the legalities, but I would do what I needed to do. May try trapping it with some can cat food

jc0313

I'd get a havahart trap for the feral cat and let the pound decide if it lives or dies if you are in a residential/urban environment. With all the libs and nosey folks in the neighborhoods you don't want to get reported for animal cruelty.

On the other hand, if you're in a rural environment and the feral cat is attempting to harm your pet...

Hduke86

Live trap and a .177 pellet does the trick. Let me tell you one thing about trying to get one out of a trap. Years ago I "tried" that and got scratched and bit. I got so dang sick and they didn't know what was going on. I had lymph nodes swell to the point I thought they were going to pop. NEVER AGAIN and after that they will only be removed from the trap when they are dead. Feral cats are like coyotes in my book. They are devastating to birds and small mammals.

BigCityBubba

That may make the most sense even though there is no momma cat. I have not heard any of the classic weird growling that you typically hear when 2 adult males are about to fight. I just hear stomping around on the deck.

TNTreeman

Live trap and a .177 pellet does the trick. Let me tell you one thing about trying to get one out of a trap. Years ago I "tried" that and got scratched and bit. I got so dang sick and they didn't know what was going on. I had lymph nodes swell to the point I thought they were going to pop. NEVER AGAIN and after that they will only be removed from the trap when they are dead. Feral cats are like coyotes in my book. They are devastating to birds and small mammals.
flu GIF by Scorpion Dagger

Same thing happened to Ted

Carlos

If you are feeding your kitten outside there's a possibility the feral Tomcat is only interested in the cat food dish.
That's a good point as well.

They are not a natural part of the ecosystem, and take quite a few songbirds, etc that normally wouldn't be killed.

Planking

Ive watched two different people dump cats on my property at night. One man dumped one out of a cage trap.

Latest posts