Food Plots Fencing off soybeans

Newt

Anyone have any first hand experience with the 3-d staggered electric fence on keeping deer out of soybeans. I have roughly about 1.35 acres of plantable with a perimeter of 1,400 feet. I have the post and insulators, just have to buy a couple thousand feet of wire and a solar powered electric fence charger. Any pointers from you guys would be great that might have done it or had better luck with anything else! And I have watched all the construction videos on YouTube they just don't do a real good job of showing how it performs throughout the growing season thanks

DoubleRidge

I don't have first hand experience but I have the solar charger and other components but haven't tried it yet....but a buddy of mine attempted to plant one acre of sunflower two years ago....soil test, fertilizer, lime....did it all per the book....and the deer mowed them down clean....so last year he did the 3-D staggered fence around the same plot and it was very effective....he caught one doe that made it across....but he found where the fence was sagging...pulled the slack out and got the fence tight and had no more issues...once the crop was fully mature (and after his wife got all the pictures she wanted) he took the fence down and let the critters have it...worked great.....good luck.

DoubleRidge

No experience with the fencing, but it is needed. I had plot a little bigger than that mowed down already.

Agree....and this is why I bought the solar charger....we planted beans, peas and sunflower year before last....looked great for a while...but once the deer found it they absolutely hammered it.....I'd like to use the fence to allow the beans to get up where they can handle some pressure and maybe even make some beans...then let the deer have them....or half of them....would be nice to have some standing beans to sow a fall blend into.

Newt

Agree....and this is why I bought the solar charger....we planted beans, peas and sunflower year before last....looked great for a while...but once the deer found it they absolutely hammered it.....I'd like to use the fence to allow the beans to get up where they can handle some pressure and maybe even make some beans...then let the deer have them....or half of them....would be nice to have some standing beans to sow a fall blend into.
My plans exactly I am going to have a small fortune invested in this whole project but what the heck right lol

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I fence corn duck holes in Stewart county every year. Keep the fence tight, clean and installed as instructed. It forms an electrical field that they sense not see. Get the dimensions wrong and they will jump it. There will be those that run thru it not much you can do about that but fix it and move along. Hogs do not pay any attention to it!
Check it often, eat the doe that learn to evade it. It will make the difference but don't get lazy or you just wasted those dollars

backyardtndeer

I have never fenced my bean plots, and in the past have done ok with them handling browsing. That said, with what 3 bags of eagle beans cost me, I am seriously considering fencing this year. Already have a solar charger and wire is reasonable. I probably don't already have enough t posts though, and they have gotten ridiculous..

Tn Joe

I've fenced off beans for couple yrs now. I use a solor charger and put up one strand of the poly tape about 30" high then inside of that about 30" or so put up 2 more strands, one about a 12" high then another about 48". I've only had a deer get inside 1 time.
5C5D8A26-36A3-4B00-9AC3-B464E6DF53AE.png

Last edited:

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I've fenced off beans for couple yrs now. I use a solor charger and put up one strand of the poly tape about 30" high then inside of that about 30" or so put up 2 more strands, one about a 12" high then another about 48". I've only had a deer get inside 1 time.
View attachment 137732
This!
Poly tape horse fence and fiberglass posts are less expensive and easier to store / manage

CPerk

I have done fencing around my acre of beans for years now. One way I save money without hurting the ability of the fence is by only keeping the outside wire hot. For the two strands on the inside fence, I just use white flagging tape you can get from TSC for $3 a roll. I do not completely understand people buying electric wire for the inside fence, as the inside fence is just visual. Hope this helps!

Newt

I have done fencing around my acre of beans for years now. One way I save money without hurting the ability of the fence is by only keeping the outside wire hot. For the two strands on the inside fence, I just use white flagging tape you can get from TSC for $3 a roll. I do not completely understand people buying electric wire for the inside fence, as the inside fence is just visual. Hope this helps!
Good idea buddy thanks for chiming in that will save me close to $100 or more

TDRPH40

Anyone have any first hand experience with the 3-d staggered electric fence on keeping deer out of soybeans. I have roughly about 1.35 acres of plantable with a perimeter of 1,400 feet. I have the post and insulators, just have to buy a couple thousand feet of wire and a solar powered electric fence charger. Any pointers from you guys would be great that might have done it or had better luck with anything else! And I have watched all the construction videos on YouTube they just don't do a real good job of showing how it performs throughout the growing season thanks
I have use the tape electric fences several times. I have plenty of all the supplies i will sell you cheap. I can also explain the places and how to set up the fence if interesred. My name s Tim. Let me know how I can help if you would like>

Newt

I have use the tape electric fences several times. I have plenty of all the supplies i will sell you cheap. I can also explain the places and how to set up the fence if interesred. My name s Tim. Let me know how I can help if you would like>
Thank you for the super nice gesture Tim I really appreciate it! I ve about rounded up every thing I need and watched all kinds of videos on it. Glad to hear it sounds like it will keep them out and actually make a podđź‘Ť

Latest posts