Feeding Deer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdouglas2004

The "little old lady" at the top of the hill in my neighborhood has been feeding the deer all year. It's to the point where they literally wait in her yard for her to feed them, and then they eat out of her hand (really). I know this is a bad practice, but is it illegal? If so, is it egregious enough to report to TWRA? She's far enough from where I hunt to not violate the hunting over feed law, but she has repatterned a lot of the deer traffic away from the woods and into her yard.

wtbh236

ya I have one next door to me too this really sucks because it prevents me from hunting on my own land I wish twra would do something about this either outlaw baiting or legalize it I hear from so many people my neighbor puts out corn on the border of his property so that its illegal to hunt within 250 yards of it
this is a problem that needs to be dealt with

wtbh236

also when I come home with a deer and my neighbor sees it she starts yelling and ringing a big bell screaming murderer

scn

wtbh236 said:
ya I have one next door to me too this really sucks because it prevents me from hunting on my own land I wish twra would do something about this either outlaw baiting or legalize it I hear from so many people my neighbor puts out corn on the border of his property so that its illegal to hunt within 250 yards of it
this is a problem that needs to be dealt with

You may want to check eith your local officer on this. Many are like me and take a pretty dim view of spite baiting. If I honestly thought someone was trying to stop someone from hunting, I don't know that I would worry about the 250 yds......

MMHunter

wtbh236 said:
also when I come home with a deer and my neighbor sees it she starts yelling and ringing a big bell screaming murderer
wtbh236 said:
That's Horrible!

brmaster

I have someone who does the same, his property is labeled as a sanctuary so no hunting at all. I see deer in his front yard all the time, and its usually 5 or more just outside his front door.
My deer seem to have slowed down on my property about middle of the year and almost diapered, dont see near as many.
But my wonderful wife got me a feeder for Christmas so maybe I can bring them back next year with that and a few other things to put out during the summer and early fall.

fredfred

wtbh236 said:

Oh that's great :crazy: I can think of so many ways to entertain myself if I had a neighbor like that :D

muzzle

When they start "spite baiting" which is very funny SCN by the way, on your property line hang your decapitated deer heads on your side in their view and trust me the spite baiting will stop. Put up a big sign that says, Thanks for making it so easy!

f1maxis

scn said:
It is not illegal to feed deer.

This is exactly why TN needs to modify it's current baiting laws...either make it all legal or make it all illegal. This "gray area" stuff is ridiculous and only makes it hard on the hunters.

scn

f1maxis said:
scn said:
It is not illegal to feed deer.

This is exactly why TN needs to modify it's current baiting laws...either make it all legal or make it all illegal. This "gray area" stuff is ridiculous and only makes it hard on the hunters.

TWRA is totally against baiting for a wide variety of reasons.

We have had language drafted for a number of years that would make feeding of wildlife illegal outside of a "backyard" type of distance to accomodate bird feeders. We are told by legislative liasons that it is unpassable in the legislature.

TWRA does not have the ability to stop wildlife feeding. It we did, it would have been done many years ago.

hitek7

So 250 yds is the magic distance to be away from a feeder in TN? The reason I ask is because we want to go ahead and start feeding some on our property but do not want to get the kids in trouble next weekend.

scn

hitek7 said:
So 250 yds is the magic distance to be away from a feeder in TN? The reason I ask is because we want to go ahead and start feeding some on our property but do not want to get the kids in trouble next weekend.

You have to be at least 250 yds away and can't shoot into that 250 yds zone. It makes about 41 acres illegal to hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts