Feeders?

Duck dogn

I know this should be in food plot or has already been discussed. I know it's illegal to bait in tn some are for it some are against it. Question is that I don't have enough clear land for beneficial food plots, what 40 yrd by 40 yrd spot I do have I try to keep wheat or rye year round cause they eat it as it sprouts. In my area of southern maury there's like 1 bean/corn field in like 6 mile radius. What does dear need to grow bigger horns? What does doe need to supply for young... ect..... I was talking to a guy in same situation and he has heavy horned 4 and 6 points that are 4 year Olds. As soon as season closes I'd like to feed something to help them through the winter at the same time I don't want to contribute to the disease factor. So would you use feeders or just let it be as is. Sorry for long read just curious. Thanks in advance.

Ski

Can you possibly thin the forest to create more browse that deer can reach? IMO, plots are like candy or dessert or a quick snack. They work as an attraction but are not as necessary as often given credit for.

The real staple deer food is browse and forage, stuff that grows within a deer's reach. Whether that's weeds or buds on the tips of branches, it is what makes up the vast majority of deer diet. If you really want to feed them, find a way to increase that type of food. Forests you can see through offers little to deer. I always heard that if you threw a basketball as far as you can, if you can see it when it lands then your deer need more food.

Duck dogn

That's good to know cause my place is thick in spots with privet hedge. Every deer I've seen this week at my place was eating privet. I was thinking of clearing it in the spring for plots but they like it lol

Ski

Clearing some privet for plots wouldn't be a bad idea. Lotsa work but it would be a step in the right direction. I wouldn't worry too much about acorns. They're nice but they only last a few weeks in the fall. The vast majority of the year deer are eating buds, briars, weeds, tender young growth, etc. That's the kind of stuff that really enhances a place, IMO. And the only way to have that is by opening the ground to sunlight.

Latest posts