Food Plots feeders

alpha sniper

I read on tn.gov that electronic feeders have to be turned off 10 days before you hunt. i can understand why that is but it didn't say anything about gravity feeders? Are you able to hunt over gravity feeders during season or not? can someone help me with this ?

alpha sniper

What if there is food in them? How far away should I be to legally able to hunt? The feeder is basically just to keep the deer on our land and keep them coming back throughout the season.

spoon

I believe it's 250 yds, but if you are hunting the trail that leads to the feeder, you can get a ticket and will lose your weapon.

Send scn a PM on the subject, he will let you know the laws

PRICE

Wes Parrish said:
If you're just wanting to shoot something over a feeder, I have a neighbor with a hog lot. He'll sell you one and you can shoot it.

Is this a jab at a young hunter trying to learn the rules?

scn

tickweed said:
Just grow you a corn patch, then bushog it. As long as you don't hunt migratory birds.

Almost correct.

You can bushog and hunt doves (migratory bird), but you cannot hunt waterfowl over a field manipulated by bushogging.

I'm sure you were thinking about the ducks and geese, and you were 100% correct on them.

alpha sniper

All i wanted to know is if i can have a feeder out with some bb2 in it so i can see what deer i have on the land during season. I am not talking about hunting over it or anything I would put it in a clover field that I have and we have some deer coming too it but I know there are more around then the few I have seen in it.

TheLBLman

PRICE said:
Wes Parrish said:
If you're just wanting to shoot something over a feeder, I have a neighbor with a hog lot. He'll sell you one and you can shoot it.

Not meant to be, as I have no idea the age of the unknown to me poster.

But if this is a young hunter, would be nice if he had more mentoring in distinguishing more the differences between hunting and shooting, as these differences are being greatly blurred by those selling feeders, promoting more shooting under the guise of hunting.

There really is no hunting in sitting over a bait pile. That's shooting. If all one wants to do is shoot something, that does work. But it's not the same as hunting. That's why many people who just want to shoot something, pay someone to let them come shoot something.

Don't take this an attack on anyone who likes to shoot deer over a feeder or bait pile where legal. As they say, different strokes for different folks, and this is no less ethical than any of us purchasing hamburger from the grocery. I'm just pointing out that it's not legal in TN, and it's more a shooting than a hunting thing. Not meant to be a "jab".

alpha sniper

Wes Parrish said:
PRICE said:
Wes Parrish said:

Not meant to be, as I have no idea the age of the unknown to me poster.

But if this is a young hunter, would be nice if he had more mentoring in distinguishing more the differences between hunting and shooting, as these differences are being greatly blurred by those selling feeders, promoting more shooting under the guise of hunting.

There really is no hunting in sitting over a bait pile. That's shooting. If all one wants to do is shoot something, that does work. But it's not the same as hunting. That's why many people who just want to shoot something, pay someone to let them come shoot something.

Don't take this an attack on anyone who likes to shoot deer over a feeder or bait pile where legal. As they say, different strokes for different folks, and this is no less ethical than any of us purchasing hamburger from the grocery. I'm just pointing out that it's not legal in TN, and it's more a shooting than a hunting thing. Not meant to be a "jab".
As I said above I am not talking about hunting over it! I am putting it in a field and I am hunting a different area the feeder was just to see what was coming into the area during season. As to a young hunter yes I am 17 so I am young but I have also been hunting since 12 and I known that hunting over bait and feeders isn't really hunting in my opinion. As to the whole monitoring while hunting and shooting thing I am being monitored actually... by the guy that asked you if this was a jab at me. He's my dad!

Latest posts