Federal 215M Primers

keystonecop

At the last gun show I found 6 packs of 100 Federal 215M primers fer $2 a hundred. I bought all 6 packs for $12, is that a fair price and what should I use them for? My 7 Mag or my other loads
I hear everybody talking on the Gun forum about these.

DaveB

Yes, you paid about half the going price.

Your stash now exceeds mine. Yep, I am jealous.

I have not seen them for sale at any Website or retail store in nearly 4 years.

The story is the Federal 215 line of primers was invented to light off the 300 Weatherby Magnum powder charge. Reportedly, the 215M is the same recipe as the 215 but the M production lilne is staffed by the most experienced trechnicians.

Since mid 1980's I have used the 215M and have never had a fail-to-fire. Never.

The 215M's are perfect for any LR magnum.

I would consider purchase of lottery tickets. With your luck You only need one.

gtk

Staff member
DaveB":q5h9wez5 said:
I have not seen them for sale at any Website or retail store in nearly 4 years.

sportsman warehouse in southaven had a bunch this past Sat. i picked up 4 boxes, and they had two sleeves full of the Match left.

DaveB

GTK-Many thanks, my Daughter and her husband live in Southaven, i will have him slide by & pick some up. All of them.

I hate running out and getting low is even worse.

DaveB

You are lucky they are at work. Daughter will get them on way home.....Would not surprise me if they are all gone. Son in Law might mess up and get some kind of spray paint.

gtk

Staff member
if they are out and you need some, holler and i'm sure i could help you out till we find more later. . i don't expect to need any until next fall anyway when I get ready to go back to CO

i've also used the 215, and can't tell any real diff between those and the 215 match.. pretty sure i have several boxes of 215 laying around that i bought because i never could find the 215M

WGK

Man I wish I could find some 215m. Does anyone know why there is still such a shortage on these primers.

DaveB

What Federal says, factory ammunition is pulling all primers away from secondary markets and that includes regular and M primers.

Don't know truth of that statement.

Since ATK owns CCI and Federal you have to wonder if the price increases we are seeing is the result of semi-monopolistic practices in the Primer industry.

I am being very stubborn: i think we will see an increase of product on the market in the near future. Prices are not going to drop, ATK is run by some serious bottom-line venture capitalists. But I expect the volume restrictions and limited choices to disappear by July.

I could be wrong by years. But you can assume the ATK brass know the size of the pent-up demand for some products. They focus on ammunition because without that, people won't buy the rifles. Time will tell.

Latest posts