Favorite ammo?

breeze900rr

Personally I like the Winchester Supreme AccuBond for my 7 Wsm. Best bullet I've ever used! Not availible in 308 or 280 (I dont think), so what do y'all think? I'll be choosing 1 of these calibers as my next rifle!

JSTEVE

I have always loved the Remmington Core-Lokt high velocity soft point for my 308. It has a large frontal area for greater impact. If I think I may be taking shots greater than 300 yards I switch to the pointed tip.

breeze900rr

Well after standing in the store staring at about 10 diff kinds of .308 ammo I finally made my choice. Federal Premium 165gr Sierra Gameking BTSP. Anybody use those wanna gimme some feedback. I know I shot them and can drive tacks with them at 100 yds.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I usually use good ole Remington Core-Lokts :D
For my .308 though it is Black Hills custom match 168 grain hollowpoints for me. :D

jakeway

I friend of mine talked me into hand-loading a few years ago, and I haven't bought pre-loaded ammo since. It's not that the ammo is all that much better, but I tend to shoot a lot more. That first year I shot over 300 rounds, and got pretty good. I only shoot 20 to 30 rounds per year since then, because of time constraints, but I plan to do a lot more.

I like Nosler and Sierra products, particularly the Ballistic Tip and the Game King. I use the 130 gr BT in my .270 and have had great results except for the two times I screwed up on the shot. My son used the 150 gr BT in his .308; he had one experience where the bullet fragmented so badly that it left several small exit holes, but that was excusable. The buck was only 2 paces from his tree, and that bullet wasn't made for such high velocity at close range. We found the deer within 50 yards, so all is forgiven.

jakeway

jakeway said:
... I use the 130 gr BT in my .270 and have had great results except for the two times I screwed up on the shot...

Let me clarify. By "screwed up the shot" I mean once I shot from a very poor sitting position way to my right, instead of shooting left handed or standing up. I missed the deer clean. The other time I had a limb in the way, so I sort of squatted down and tried to shoot under the limb. STUPID, STUPID MISTAKE! I shot very low, and just nicked the deer's front leg. Only a few very small drops of blood, and after 3 hours of trailing I'm convinced it was a minor, non-lethal wound. All the deer I hit in the chest were recovered within 50 yards; several dropped in their tracks.

BucksNDucks

A year ago I would of said Winchester Balistic Silver Tips, but since i go my .300wsm savage I am back to corelokt's. My savage doesn't seem to care for the winchester's. Any other savage shooter's having this problem?

PickettSFHunter

All STONE rolled lol
.260 Rem-120 Nosler Ballistic Tip
.308 Win-180 Nosler Accubond
.223 Rem-60 Nosler Partition
7mm RemMag- 150 Sierra Gameking
.270 Win-140 Nosler Ballistic Tip
Another .308(Rem 7400)- 165 Core Lokts

Latest posts