Farm pond hunting?

Reemus Buckshot

We have several small farm ponds throughout our property. One is pretty large. It is about 200 yards long and 100 yards wide. My question is...has anyone hunted any ponds like this successfully? If so, what were your strategies as far as decoys and calling? The ponds have good surrounding cover and hold beavers so I don't know why they wouldn't hold ducks from time to time. The ponds are about a half mile to a mile from a fairly large river (loosahatchie) so I was wondering if anyone thought any ducks might pass through? I am new to duck hunting so I am not sure. As far as scouting out this location for next year, what do you suggest I do?

rukiddin

I grew up hunting farm ponds in NC. We have shot everything off farmponds, from mallards and woodducks to canvasbacks and goldeneyes off quarter acre mudholes. For the life of me, I can't figure out why some ponds hold ducks and others that APPEAR to be identical and less than 1/2 mile from each other will hold nothing.
I know of one farm pond, approxmately 5 acres, that will hold just about every duck that flies the flyway. 2 weeks ago there was 800+ ducks, mainly mallards, gadwalls and jacks. there is no hunting allowed and there is no baiting either. The owner is a elderly lady and she is very polite and nice, she has a handicapped daughter that likes to birdwatch so that is the reason for the no hunting. But she has told me that she remembers her husband duck hunting in the early 60's and he would shoot "several" ducks off the pond so IMO the ducks have just imprinted on this pond over the years. I have permission to hunt 3 ponds all within 1 mile of this place and they never hold that many ducks and they look "duckier" than the pond mentioned.

Spoonbillmallard

To hunt farm ponds the ducks or geese have to already be using the pond. Ofcourse there could be some exceptions, as you said it is fairly close to a river. You may have a few ducks fly through the area but getting them down on a farm pond may be a different story.

But if they are already using the pond just throw out 2 or 3 decoys and set back and blast em when they come in. But if they are just fly by's then I would say put out maybe a dozen and try callen em down. I have never had much luck callin down fly by's on farm ponds. But I have seen a few come in. But as said before if the ducks have infrinted that pond into thier flyway then just wait for em to get there and watch em for a few days. Then go out and blast em. But I would use very light calling if any.

SuperX2

Spoonbillmallard has given you great advice. Right on the money.

Hunting farm ponds is all about scouting - you have to find out if birds are using them, and then what time of day they're coming in (first thing, loafing mid-day, roosting there, etc.)

It requires doing you're homework, but hunting farm ponds can be an absolute blast (and some of the best hunting you'll find for waterfowl in Middle TN, at least).

Just a few decoys and a good place to hide and you're set.

Good luck!

go_okfishin

We use to hunt a pond up in Mt. Juliet. It is now that new Del Webb retirement community. The gadwalls loved it, lots of jacks and geese. Didn't see a whole lot of mallards but those gadwalls can be fun. Good early fall teal hole ,too.

buckhunter42

i seen when pressure on big water is on they find ponds for safety..........so yes ponds would be productive , its someplace i would try next year for sure.

Reemus Buckshot

I am familiar with scouting for deer and turkey, but new to the waterfowl homework. How would I go about scouting this pond to see if ducks were using it? If they are using it now will they be using it next season? What should I be looking for?

Reemus Buckshot

go_okfishin said:
We use to hunt a pond up in Mt. Juliet. It is now that new Del Webb retirement community. The gadwalls loved it, lots of jacks and geese. Didn't see a whole lot of mallards but those gadwalls can be fun. Good early fall teal hole ,too.

How were you set up? Decoys? Calls?

go_okfishin

Reemus Buckshot said:
go_okfishin said:

How were you set up? Decoys? Calls?

We would just stand in the trees and throw out maybe 6 decoys. This pond had a lot of willow trees on the bank. Lot of times no calling but used a 4-1 call, a gadwall call and a regular duck call.. We never hunted in the afternoon though because it was primarily used as their roost pond. When the weather got nasty they would try to get in there all day. This pond was big enough that we would position people at different places and hunted it long enough to know where they liked to land with different winds. Gadwalls are fun but frustrating, they have a tendency to work you for a long time before they commit. I have hunted ponds in Texas with little or no cover and that is tough if not near impossible.

A

Anonymous

A good pair of binoculars come in real handy, and stay away from the pond (don't spook them) or if you don't have the option to stay at a far distance to scout, wear full camo,use concealment, sneak only close enough to see them on the water, then back out.

CBU93

Actually seeing ducks use the hole in question is as good as it gets as long as they are there in good numbers.

Poop on logs in the water, feathers floating, tracks in the mud in shallow areas...

Latest posts