Fallow Deer - Any Concern for Disease Spread?

BlountArrow

I was wondering if any of you know if there are any diseases that Fallow Deer specifically carry that could transmit to the Whitetail population. I seem to have one that has made his way onto some property I'm monitoring with my game cams...don't know where he came from. At first it seemed cool, but I wonder if there is cause for concern.

Diehard Hunter

I notice you are in southeast tn. Are you close to Bledsoe county? There is a large fallow deer farm down that way.

As for disease, the fallow deer is probably at more of a risk than the white tails are. White tails carry meningeal worms with no I'll effects, but the worms will kill the fallow deer.

BlountArrow

I try not to be too specific with whereabouts but the film footage of this buck is in Blount County. Thanks for the information. I'm glad to know he shouldn't be too much of a risk to the whitetails as far as disease is concerned. He probably needs to be killed when the season rolls around or removed by TWRA (if they would even be interested in such a thing).

Diehard Hunter

It is considered livestock. If you kill it and the owner finds out you can be held liable for the value of that animal. By the same token, if that animal causes someone else damages, the owner can be held liable.

I would check some deer farmers websites and see if there are any close to you.

BlountArrow

My cousin spoke with a game warden on my behalf because I was trying to remain somewhat anonymous and the game warden actually told her that I could kill it during the season. He is a game warden in the Tellico area. I guess anybody can sue for anything these days. I don't know of any such farms in my area (someone said there is a farm in Walland that has Fallows). Walland isn't exactly far away as a crow flies, but it's a pretty good haul for any deer to this property.

Doskil

Well if you do shoot it I would not tell anyone. The owner might get upset, assuming it came from captivity.

I don't think fallow deer are vectors of CWD but I could be wrong.

Alabama has had a wild herd of fallow deer for years and they are also found in Texas and LBL.

Latest posts