fall colors

shorefisherman

got this guy over this past wknd, just half inch shy of legal size. i tried to take nice underwater pics like gil does , but man it aint easy.
now everyone knows the legal size of brown is 24" , what u think about raising the trophy size to 30" from 26" ?

10-17-10_11291.jpg

002-6.jpg

004-6.jpg

redcorn

the trophy length doesn't need to go any higher. The majority of people wont catch any that big anyway, and the serious trophy fisherman who do catch them, usually don't keep many.

The only people who are catchin a lot of big browns are the ones fishing with shad.

If you were talking about your own personal definition of trophy length, then that is up to you; I think a 24 inch brown is a trophy.

B.D.

I think the trophy size brown cutoff at 26" is just about right. However, since the Caney is now intended to be a "trophy fishery," I wouldn't mind seeing the legal size limit being raised to match that "trophy" 26" mark. :)

bd

A

Anonymous

Here are a couple that we are getting up this way as of late.. 10 pounder and 14 pounder..

10browntrout2009.jpg

14lbbrown.jpg

gil1

Good job, Shore, and great feeshy!
Great seeing you on the river last weekend.
It was pretty slow for us. Here's a decent rainbow I caught and another of my buddy hooking up.

IMG_0183.jpg

PA230006.jpg

shorefisherman

redcorn said:
the trophy length doesn't need to go any higher. The majority of people wont catch any that big anyway, and the serious trophy fisherman who do catch them, usually don't keep many.

The only people who are catchin a lot of big browns are the ones fishing with shad.

If you were talking about your own personal definition of trophy length, then that is up to you; I think a 24 inch brown is a trophy.

well, in a fishery where legal size limit is 24" , i just dont see 2" above the legal limit would be considered a trophy imo. youll be suprised how many 30"+ browns are here in tn. but i know what u mean....iguess they aint targeting bigger fish

B.D.

shorefisherman said:
well, in a fishery where legal size limit is 24" , i just dont see 2" above the legal limit would be considered a trophy imo.

Except that the legal size limit is specifically intended to create a "trophy fishery" where only fish near "trophy size" may be harvested.

youll be suprised how many 30"+ browns are here in tn.

You'd probably be equally surprised at the number of largemouth over 22" and smallmouth over 20" too (using the TARP program measurements for reference). That doesn't mean it's an everyday occurrence to catch them though. They still represent a relatively small slice of the overall population.

bd

shorefisherman

B.D. said:
You'd probably be equally surprised at the number of largemouth over 22" and smallmouth over 20" too (using the TARP program measurements for reference). That doesn't mean it's an everyday occurrence to catch them though. They still represent a relatively small slice of the overall population.
bd

thats true, if they were easy to catch id loose interest. thats why i fish/hunt for it. caney has the abundant forage and habitat to grow big browns relatively fast, i say with the new limits caney will be a trophy fishery next fall !

B.D.

I'm just hoping and praying for a relatively dry winter and spring this year and next so we can really see what the river is capable of doing with the new limits in place. The weather trends seem to be pointing more toward another wet one, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'd kinda like to see them run their generation pulse in the afternoon too, now that mid-day heat isn't an issue. It would sure make it easier to time a productive float. :)

bd

shorefisherman

not i , i hope it rains. but this winter its lookin like a dry mild winter.........i was out today and saw the funniest things.... saw a 18"ish brown with a hoola hoop ring stuck around its belly :D and a 14"ish brown swimming in sync with school of shad.. ive seen more doin this, and they would be the the smart ones ;) ... :D

Latest posts