Failed nesting attempt

Andy S.

My buddy in Ohio found this nest today with 12 scattered, busted and eaten eggs.

onBTtBC.jpg

Wrangler95

That is one thing that is making the population go down,very few hens having poults that actually hatch!!Dang varmits!!

Boll Weevil

Dang egg bandits. It's always interesting to me WHERE hens nest. Some pick places I'd pick if I was a hen...like a briar thicket. Others seem like they nest right out in the open.

megalomaniac

The most successful nests are ones located where there is back cover behind the bird, but the front is open and low enough they can see incoming predators when they stretch their head up.

We had a hen nest 3 yards from an interior road of all places on my lease here in MS. She successfully incubated and hatched out those little buggers perfectly :)

drake799

2 days ago I watched a crow pick up a egg from a nest 75 yards from My back door and fly off . I'd seen a hen out there couple times and thought maybe she had a nest but wasn't gonna go looking and possibly screw something up then seen that. I went and investigated and never found the nest but found where the crow had picked another up and dropped it So either the nest was real small and new. Or it had done been cleaned out Idk how turkeys even exist with so many things after them

TheLBLman

BackwoodsBoy":3nlp47d3 said:
Not as many trapping and definitely not as many folks coon hunting as there was even 20 years ago.
I'm not so sure that means we have more coons today as compared to times past.

It may be that coyotes hunt & kill more raccoons now than human hunters ever did.

In much of TN the habitat has changed greatly to be a little less favorable for raccoons.

But make no mistake, raccoon are major nest raiders, and I'd like to see their numbers kept in check. Actually planning to do some major coon trapping myself this coming winter. We started last winter majorly trapping coyotes. Will expand that to include a focus on raccoon with the next round.

Latest posts