F&WC Season Setting (4/18 & 4/19)

Southern Sportsman

Usually being the key word.

I have seen some situations where it was obvious deals had been made over dinner the night before that resulted in major amendments. I really hope it goes through as proposed!
Bill Cox did all he could to fight it (which was expected), but . . . it passed!

Turkey discussion and votes start at 50:00.

mike243

So will they drop it to 1 when the population still stays low? I don't think low numbers are so much hunting by man as predators. times going to tell though.

Southern Sportsman

So will they drop it to 1 when the population still stays low? I don't think low numbers are so much hunting by man as predators. times going to tell though.
I hope it doesn't come to that, and I don't think it will. But if populations were to drop to a certain point, then I suspect they would consider a 1-bird limit and probably a shorter season. Without some of the long-overdue regulation changes the last couple of years, something drastic like a 1-bird limit may have been needed soon. And if east TN populations continue to struggle, a 1-bird limit for those units may be on the table in 2026. Legally and morally, their first priority should be the sustainability of the resource, so if struggling populations justified it, I would fully expect them to consider all options.

REN

what I found interesting in that is the discussion around not wanting YOUTH to have to wear a jacket and setting dates based on when the best hunting is. IMO thats an odd way to look at season dates that should be based around the biology of the resource. Dont get me wrong, obviously those things intertwine some but just threw me off again that some didnt want youth to early cause it might be to cold for kids hahah.

Southern Sportsman

what I found interesting in that is the discussion around not wanting YOUTH to have to wear a jacket and setting dates based on when the best hunting is. IMO thats an odd way to look at season dates that should be based around the biology of the resource. Dont get me wrong, obviously those things intertwine some but just threw me off again that some didnt want youth to early cause it might be to cold for kids hahah.
Haha. They all have an opinions, but if they express those opinions too directly, they will invariably piss off some percentage of their constituents. But the youth season success is undeniably better (almost double) what it was under the old season date structure. So I interpreted "we're doing it for the kids" as pseudo-politician speech for "the delay makes sense and may be helping so lets keep it."

deerfever

The highlight of the whole two days was when the guy said he didn't realize a bearded hen could produce poults. There were things said that were comical. No one knows the weather but we certainly don't want anyone wearing a coat. Supposed to be 55 here tomorrow but I am going to refuse a coat since it's April!!! Lol

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I had zero hope they were going to hold the line on the delayed turkey opener—but I'm positively thrilled they did!!!

My opinion: if seasons were set in March, they would have gone with the "closest to April 7th opener," but the fact these guys had a killer opener just a week ago swung the momentum the other way.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
scared to death they gona make a deer hunter mad

Heh. It's funny, because doing exactly this is what it will take to make the agency self-reliant.

If the commission is serious about generating ungodly amounts of Out-of-State hunting revenue, the answer isn't pimping out turkeys.

It's a 1-Buck limit. Five years after such a regulation passes, people will gladly pay $200 less than what it takes to hunt Iowa or Illinois.

Southern Sportsman

If you can call it that😂 shotgun only and only certain dates😂 scared to death they gona make a deer hunter mad
I was focused on turkeys and didn't pay much attention to the night season, other than seeing that one passed. The shotgun thing does suck. Will thermal/night vision be allowed?

Coyote guys will be getting into the TSS game now. A 2oz load of tungsten #5s will wreck one pretty damn far. But pricey, obviously, especially since they'll be looking to kill more than 2-3 a year.

Latest posts