Expired

HuntingDicksonDTC

R.I.P.
FLTENNHUNTER1":2z3b8nnm said:
Smith & Wesson Model 686

Best there is, well worth the money

This^^^^^^^^^

Just had a 4" prelock for sale. Money well spent to get a prelock. Can shoot it and it will hold its value.

eightpointer

I just bought a new Ruger GP100 with 6" barrel. Built like a tank. I narrowed it down to the Smith and Ruger. Like the way the Ruger felt more and the reviews were much better. Not dissing the Smith one bit. JUst preferred the Ruger.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I carry a Tarus Poly-protector. 2 inch barrel, weighs 19 ounces unloaded. Heck, I think the 5 shells weigh almost as much as the rest of the gun. It points and shoots well.

Grill-n-man

All 3 makers make good guns and one important detail many over look outside of price and feel is the actual shooting of the gun. Are you going to shoot 38 special out of it mainly with the occasional 357 mag loads or are the mags going to be its main diet. Lots of stress on the cylinder and frame with a steady diet of mags. If the mags are going to be your main load, especially some of the hotter ones, then I would suggest you go with one with a heavy beefier build. Over time it will hold up better and longer than a smaller lighter frame. And the beefier one will be more comfortable to shoot with the mags. I'll put it into perspective, I shot a S&W air weight snubby loaded with good 357mags twice once and it will not happen again unless I'm about to be killed and there is nothing else left. On the other hand shooting a Ruger SP101 snubby with the same load I can do all day. Bigger frame and heavier. So in short, when deciding throw how much you going to shoot the mag loads in it in your decision making.

Bambi Buster

Grill-n-man":3r5v85vb said:
All 3 makers make good guns and one important detail many over look outside of price and feel is the actual shooting of the gun. Are you going to shoot 38 special out of it mainly with the occasional 357 mag loads or are the mags going to be its main diet. Lots of stress on the cylinder and frame with a steady diet of mags. If the mags are going to be your main load, especially some of the hotter ones, then I would suggest you go with one with a heavy beefier build. Over time it will hold up better and longer than a smaller lighter frame. And the beefier one will be more comfortable to shoot with the mags. I'll put it into perspective, I shot a S&W air weight snubby loaded with good 357mags twice once and it will not happen again unless I'm about to be killed and there is nothing else left. On the other hand shooting a Ruger SP101 snubby with the same load I can do all day. Bigger frame and heavier. So in short, when deciding throw how much you going to shoot the mag loads in it in your decision making.

Very good point.

Widowmaker

TNGunsmoke":vginbhdq said:
I carry a Tarus Poly-protector. 2 inch barrel, weighs 19 ounces unloaded. Heck, I think the 5 shells weigh almost as much as the rest of the gun. It points and shoots well.

I own one as well and it's a great shooter. Haven't had any issues so far.

FLTENNHUNTER1

This is the one you want:

Attachments

• wm_11603188.jpg
    wm_11603188.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2,184

mr.big

unless you are gonna spring for a Colt Python I would really want a Smith Model 19,,the triggers on the S&W`s are way better than the Taurus and the fit and finish is 4-5 levels better,,

I have a Taurus 6" 357 I leave in the truck and carry in the woods but for a nice revolver to keep around the house and shoot in the yard the Model 19 is a beautiful revolver with a bluing that is a foot deep and will cut bullet holes with the right ammo,,

and one other thing if you buy at fair market value and keep them in good shape they will never be worth less than you pay for it,,

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/703280383

mr.big

my older brother has a S&W 340PD and if you needed to get somebody off you behind a dumpster in an alley off 2nd Ave it would for sure get the job done,,,but if you are wanting to just shoot a nice revolver for fun as the OP seems to want that 2 inch Airweight with fullhouse 357 loads is gonna be like holding M80`s in the palm of your hand and lighting them off,,

if I wasnt gonna get the Model 19 or a 586 K frame I would rather go up to the Model 27 N frame than to go down to the J frame,,

if the Smiths werent for me for back yard plinking I really like the Ruger Blackhawk single actions,,

Bambi Buster

greygoose":3sgyjs8h said:
I do know that i want one with a 4" barrel(just seems to be the best balanced length barrel).........I am not trying to conceal carry or hunt with, more less just having some thing to plink with and primarily just have a revolver that i have always wanted to own.

mr.big":3sgyjs8h said:
my older brother has a S&W 340PD and if you needed to get somebody off you behind a dumpster in an alley off 2nd Ave it would for sure get the job done,,,but if you are wanting to just shoot a nice revolver for fun as the OP seems to want that 2 inch Airweight with fullhouse 357 loads is gonna be like holding M80`s in the palm of your hand and lighting them off,,

if I wasnt gonna get the Model 19 or a 586 K frame I would rather go up to the Model 27 N frame than to go down to the J frame,,

if the Smiths werent for me for back yard plinking I really like the Ruger Blackhawk single actions,,

^^^^This^^^^^^ (Aside from the minor point that a Smith & Wesson 586 is an L frame).

mr.big

I always screw up the 586 and Model 60 and 66`s,,but in 357 for shooting the K and L frames are my favorites with the N frame 2nd and the J frame is more like a special tool for one certain job that it does well but not good for much else,

jroberts

I have always wanted a 357 revolver but just never got one.Im now in the market but i will be darn if there are not to many options out there.I do know that i want one with a 4" barrel(just seems to be the best balanced length barrel) but do not know what brand.Taurus has plenty in the $400.00 range,smith and wesson,ruger closer to average $700.00 range.Is taurus that much cheaper in quality compared to the other two? i would rather spend no more than $500.00"ish" on a gun that i am not going to be shooting alot.I am not trying to conceal carry or hunt with, more less just having some thing to plink with and primarily just have a revolver that i have always wanted to own.Just curious what you may have and your opinions on brand and quality.Thanks for any advice or opinions :tu:
G
I have always wanted a 357 revolver but just never got one.Im now in the market but i will be darn if there are not to many options out there.I do know that i want one with a 4" barrel(just seems to be the best balanced length barrel) but do not know what brand.Taurus has plenty in the $400.00 range,smith and wesson,ruger closer to average $700.00 range.Is taurus that much cheaper in quality compared to the other two? i would rather spend no more than $500.00"ish" on a gun that i am not going to be shooting alot.I am not trying to conceal carry or hunt with, more less just having some thing to plink with and primarily just have a revolver that i have always wanted to own.Just curious what you may have and your opinions on brand and quality.Thanks for any advice or opinions :tu:
Get a Dan Wesson Model 15-2V in whatever length you want. I Have one in 8" and love it

kamml

Years ago I owned a Taurus 6" 357 Model 669 in stainless. It was a very accurate shooter and it was ported from the factory to keep recoil down. I bought it to hunt deer but traded it away for one reason or another. I like Taurus firearms they seem to have good quality, but that 357 was my only Taurus.

Last edited: