escape routes

dsa5455

After hunting the other morning and not seeing anything I was walking back through a field to my truck and saw two deer standing looking at me. They of course see me before I see them and after one slight move they are on their way flags a flying. They didn't run in the direction from which they came and they didn't run towards where they seem to be going. My question is "Does your hunting setup ever take escape routes into consideration? Do you ever move a stand that is setup on a travel route and move it to a place where you saw a deer run after being spooked. Even if you don't normally see them come from that direction.

Mike Belt

The only time I've ever really considered hunting what I deemed as an escape route was on deer drives and then it was usually behind the drivers trying to catch those wary bucks that let them walk right by them and then headed for the back door.

BigD_625

My dad told me a story about a thicket. Every time my brother and cousin would come out, they would run deer off. Every time, they said, "They went into the thicket". After a few times, my dad decided to hunt the thicket. He killed one of the prettiest 8 points I've ever seen. LOL

Latest posts