Epic hunt and first bow kill

TBBandito

Fantastic!!! That is amazing!!! My first bow kill was a hummingbird… damn thing landed on my bow right at release! Saw him but it didn't compute… not gonna lie, shed a tear!

Good Thursday, this is my first ever post on here. I've really enjoyed following this site for a while but now finally have a post worthy deer hunting story of my own to share.
I had one of the most epic hunts of my entire life Tuesday evening. My boys helped me put a new stand up on Monday and I hunted it Monday evening. I saw several does but passed as I've been pattering a nice buck since the beginning of summer that I knew was moving in that area. I've been wanting get a stand in this area but it's not easy to get to and time hasn't been my friend but we finally got it up and I decided to hunt it again Tuesday evening before the front blew in yesterday (Wednesday). After about 1 hour in the stand he came walking out of the woods and began grazing perfectly broadside to me but would not get any closer than 57 yards (a long shot for me with my bow). Another younger buck that he was with began to move in the wrong direction away from me and he was following that same direction so I had a decision to make. Knowing I may not get another bow shot on him this season, I decided to trust my practicing and let it fly.

I was certain that I hit him good but we could not find him Tuesday night. I was sick to my stomach thinking maybe I had made a poor decision and made a bad shot. We were seeing no blood and couldn't not find my arrow. Needless to say I didn't sleep much Tuesday night. My son and I got up early Wednesday morning and went back out to look for him with a plan to do a grid search. After 10 minutes in the woods however, my son calmly said "dad come see, I think I found some sign." I hurried over and my son had a huge grin on his face now excitedly saying "dad you dropped him, he's laying right there." Man, what an irreplaceable moment we had together in the woods after finding that buck. Turns out we had walked right past him last night probably three or four times as he didn't go even 15 yards. I had shot him perfectly. A leaning fallen tree had left a small hole at its base that was surrounded by vines and briars. He had ran in there and died probably not long after I shot him. All you could see was his antlers and head sticking out. I walked under that leaning tree probably 3 times Tuesday night. To say that I'm thankful for this harvest would be an understatement. I've been watching this buck grow for several years now and have passed on him many times but to have this opportunity with my bow and to make this shot and find him with my son just made for the best of moments. Thank you Lord for the opportunity, I will never forget it and I give You God all the glory for it.

What a hunt, what a moment!
Congratulations. Those moments in God's great outdoors are priceless. That's a memory both of you will share forever.

Latest posts