Elk Loads

Young Buck

What are you fellas shootin for elk.This years gonna be my first trip and I'm gonna be carrying a 7mm rum & barnes 160TSX. Hope I get to sling at least one.

Quiver

Where you headed and what season? We're going back to CO second rifle. I'm again carrying my partners 300WM until I can put me one together.

Asaltwpn

Hello UPSman, Don't want to discourage you but you might want to reconsider taking a bigger gun than the 7-08. I have a 7-08 and the range is not that far and it sure doesn't have the knock down to bring down a big bull. I've taken numerous elk and we only use a 300 win mag or larger. Even with a 7mm we have had to track to many lost elk. It is heart breaking to see a big bull run off after a perfect shot with a small caliber bullet. Just my 2 cents but hope you enjoy your hunt. Nothing like hearing that big bull bugle.

megalomaniac

Easton ACC's tipped with 100 grain rocket steelheads :)

I had no idea an elk would die within 5 seconds and travel only 60 yards downhill with a quartering away doublelung shot until I did it last year.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Don't plan on poking one at 500 yards. Will keep shots at 300 or less or the elk gets a free pass. If worse comes to worse, I'll let Quiver back with me up with a confounded Encore ;)

4onaside

Ken Hamm said:
Hello UPSman, Don't want to discourage you but you might want to reconsider taking a bigger gun than the 7-08. I have a 7-08 and the range is not that far and it sure doesn't have the knock down to bring down a big bull. I've taken numerous elk and we only use a 300 win mag or larger. Even with a 7mm we have had to track to many lost elk. It is heart breaking to see a big bull run off after a perfect shot with a small caliber bullet. Just my 2 cents but hope you enjoy your hunt. Nothing like hearing that big bull bugle.
I semi-agree with you Ken re: having enough gun. Where we differ is our opinions of what is enough gun. In my experience, shooting one in the shoulder with a 30.06 180 gr. partition bullet will kill the biggest bull out there quickly every time. For my taste, the only thing that you gain by going to a 300 win is getting hammered. All things considered, I want the elk to be the one that takes a beating, not the shooter(me). lol

Ken Hamm said:

If it is a perfectly placed shot, about any centerfire will bring down an elk. A buddy of mine dropped one in its tracks with a 7mm mag shooting 140 grain Ballistic tips, and I hate BT, but it is all about shot placement. When I go , I will be toting a 300 WSM, but that don't mean lesser calibers won't kill an elk.

4onaside

Hillbilly Hunter said:
Ken Hamm said:

If it is a perfectly placed shot, about any centerfire will bring down an elk. A buddy of mine dropped one in its tracks with a 7mm mag shooting 140 grain Ballistic tips, and I hate BT, but it is all about shot placement. When I go , I will be toting a 300 WSM, but that don't mean lesser calibers won't kill an elk.
You know, Hunter, I use nothing but Nosler partitions when I elk hunt, but I think that I may have fallen for the "premium bullet hype". I'm sure that standard modern bullets, such as core-locts would kill em grave yard dead. In fact, if you listen to some of the hype, they would have you believe that a Ballistic tip is not adequate for anything! However, I get so few shots at elk relative to deer(and antelope) for example, that my attitude has always been to use a state of the art bullet. Why not.

Timberdoodle

Young Buck said:
What are you fellas shootin for elk.This years gonna be my first trip and I'm gonna be carrying a 7mm rum & barnes 160TSX. Hope I get to sling at least one.

What kind of ballistics are you looking at w/160TSX ? How consistent are you @ 300 to 500 yds. ?

I also shoot a 7mmUM and am researching which load to take to Idaho this winter. ;)

Young Buck

+1.75@100yds.,0@ 250yds.400 yds -12.5" These loads have shot real good groups out of my gun,a custom Rem. 700.Have yet to shoot @ 500 yds,but at 400 was able to keep shots in an 8" circle. Conley loads 29 different cartridges for the 7 rum.His turnaround time usually is about 6 weeks. His # is 662 526 5886, he also has a website.

4onaside said:
Hillbilly Hunter said:
Ken Hamm said:

You know, Hunter, I use nothing but Nosler partitions when I elk hunt, but I think that I may have fallen for the "premium bullet hype". I'm sure that standard modern bullets, such as core-locts would kill em grave yard dead. In fact, if you listen to some of the hype, they would have you believe that a Ballistic tip is not adequate for anything! However, I get so few shots at elk relative to deer(and antelope) for example, that my attitude has always been to use a state of the art bullet. Why not.

I agree. I wouldn't use a BT on an Elk, but I was just stating a fact. I would/will use a Partition or simular bullet.

CZ284

All the elk I've taken were with 125 grain Thunderheads. None went over 50 yards.
Do know a lot of guys that have shot them with pretty much everything from MZ, 270s and 300 mags. Common thread is shot placement. Hit them right and the 7/08 with the Barnes will do fine. (I've killed 600 pound hogs through both shoulders with my son's 7-08 150 gr Barnes). I'd probably keep the 7/08 to under 200 yards.

The guy that shot his elk with the 300 mag didn't hit him well and the elk went for a couple miles with 6 bullets in him. They are very tough, but no tougher than a whitetail if you hit them right.

I shoot a 284 winchester with barnes 150s and wouldn't hesitate to take elk with it.

Also, don't buy the "have to shoot 500 yard" mentality. You can get close, it just takes more work and in my book, is lot more gratifying.

However, there's nothing better than putting an arrow through one at 8 yards.....

skynimrod

I killed a spike (dropped in his tracks)at over 400 yds with my 7mm mag shooting a 150 Nos BT with my pack as a rest. With that much distance to slow the Ballistic Tip it did wonderful. At the time it was my long range bullet of choice because of accuracy. I was carrying 160 gr Nos partitions in my clip for the short range work. Long shots you will always have time to put in what you want. I always carried two bullets for elk.
Today I pack my 270 wsm with 160 Partition Golds for my short work, and Barnes TS 130 gr. for my long range stuff. I also pack my Marlin 444 for the dark timber and nasty weather days.

TNlandowner

CZ284: well spoken about the thrill of archery success.

I was stationed in CO for 9 years: took 8 elk while there (can only take one a year). I harvested 6 with rifle and 2 with bow. I blew away the state odds / statistics by taking elk every year from public lands, but that wasn't so important. I'll never forget the challenge or reward from the 2 successful bow hunts! One cow fell from a double lung shot at 12 yards and a 302" 6x6 fell from well placed heart shot at 21 yards! AWESOME, AND MY ARM HAIR STILL STANDS UP WHEN I THINK ABOUT THOSE HUNTS!

As for the firearm caliber / weapon choice question: I took 3 elk with a 270, 3 elk a 300 weatherby. All were shot from 15 to 200 yards! I also remember a newspaper article about a young 12 year old boy who took his first elk, a 5x5 rag horn. His father checked him out of school for his first hunt. The little fella had one hell of a hunt as he shot his first elk with his grandpa's old 30-30 rifle and 150 grain soft point bullet! indeed, don't think 500 yards, think about closing the distance and putting the round thru the heart & lungs!

Latest posts