Elk Hunting Question

dgolden

This past October I was fortunate enough to go elk hunting for the first time. I was talking with my neighbor today telling him all about the hunt. As I was reminiscing of those Colorado mornings, I remembered several times while hunting we would come to an area littered with sign and there was a strong musty smell. Once I shot a bull I realized that I was smelling elk!
Fast forward to today I got to thinking. How long would that smell linger after a elk has moved on? Did we bump elk out of the area and then walk in where they were bedded? Or would it linger for awhile after they were gone?

Seems I can't stop thinking about Colorado and bugling elk! :bash:

fairchaser

Trust me, you'll think about it for years and probably the rest of your life. That's why hunting is so great; The memories.

Smells can linger for quite a while. Just walk into your teenage son's bedroom. But with wind currents, I'd say the elk hadn't been gone very long and you probably bumped them out. A wallow however can reek all season.

AT Hiker

What I've noticed while mule deer hunting in elk areas is this...the elk will visit those areas you smell at night. So technically the sign is fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daff

I've wondered the same thing. The only theory I've got is in terrain deep hollows and such I think it lasts awhile. I had an episode where I was sneaking along and smelled elk. i set up to call behind a large clump of juniper bushes and after the first call a young bull stood up out of those bushes at 5yds. kinda startled me and I would have shot him if I had a shot but everything was blocked. I got the bow drawn with no issue but he blew out of there when i tried backing up the hill to get a clear shot. Neat experience always be ready! You never know when or how an opportunity will present itself. Every time I think i have made every screw up possible i find a new one. The one thing I've learned is if I can string enough screw ups together I can make it happen eventually. Good luck

Latest posts