Elk Down

String Music

I've been going elk hunting for a few years now. Up to this year, I've exclusively bow hunted. Well, I decided to buy a limited license muzzleloader tag. The tag was cow only, but that was good enough for me.

I can't say enough about the challenges and beauty of hunting out west. Colorado is a beautiful state full of elk. I killed this cow the second morning of muzzleloader season. The hunt was short and sweet but memorable. I located several cows and a small bull in a meadow. I maneuvered around and crawled up into the field within 120 yards. I sent a 350 grain Federal bullet through both lungs and heard her crash.

The hike out with all that meat was rough, but part of the experience. I'm in love with all my Kuiu gear and will be adding to the collection in the future.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 5,187
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 5,184
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 5,181

Buzzard Breath

Dude, that is awesome. Congrats on the accomplishment. Elk have been my nemesis and I have moved on to other critters for the time being.

Cookout at String Music's house!!! :tu:

AT Hiker

Sweet! I have avoided hunting elk for many reasons, one being I dont need another addiction. However, Im about to start playing the game.

I almost bought a Kuiu pack but have read and been told that heavy loads are a problem. But the price point is 1/2 of other brand name hunting packs with a load shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigtex

Congrats on the Elk! Sounds like a fun hunt, and yes, hunting out west is awesome!! I just couldn't get over the wide open spaces, you can drive for miles with no houses in sight.

String Music

Buzzard Breath":299fcmrv said:
Dude, that is awesome. Congrats on the accomplishment. Elk have been my nemesis and I have moved on to other critters for the time being.

Cookout at String Music's house!!! :tu:

Grab a smokepole and go after them!

String Music

Tennessee Lead":1xwxhrzj said:
That's flipping awesome! Congrats to you. Freezer is full now!

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

Sure is! Elk is my favorite wild game meat, too!

String Music

AT Hiker":2itc7c1b said:
Sweet! I have avoided hunting elk for many reasons, one being I dont need another addiction. However, Im about to start playing the game.

I almost bought a Kuiu pack but have read and been told that heavy loads are a problem. But the price point is 1/2 of other brand name hunting packs with a load shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no experience with their packs, but everything else I've used is absolutely top shelf. I wore the attack pants, 145 merino, 200 Peloton hoody and guide vest every day!

Buzzard Breath

Semi-auto, magnum, muzzle brake, wood stock, you name it, its on it. He handed it to me on a fence crossing and it about separated my shoulder.

String Music

I went with the CVA Optima V2 with fiber optic sights and have been very satisfied with it. The gun is light and feels great. Very easy to use.

I hate you have had bad experiences with KUIU. I've used a lot of hunting clothes over the years and KUIU is my favorite. I have a couple pieces of First Lite and know people that use it and have been impressed thus far. KUIU is a little more affordable so it's hard to spend more when I have confidence in KUIU.

Latest posts