Elk 2012

BIGROCKREB

Anybody putting in for elk this next year?
I have decided to put in for Wyoming. I have a place lined up to hunt, but the draw odds are not very good. Even with lots of points.
Figures, I find somebody that will let me hunt, and it's a tough draw. That's the way it goes I reckon. But hey, somebody's gonna draw it!
So, I'm thinking about a mule deer hunt somewhere if I don't get drawn. I'll still have time to apply for deer if I don't get drawn for elk. ;)
Results are up Feb.29th.
If anyone else is going to apply for Wyoming, don't forget the deadline for elk is Jan.31st. They start taking the apps Jan 1st.
Jan 1st - March 15th for deer & antelope.

Good luck to all who apply!

Jugfish

Put in for KY. Only costs $10 per application and you can apply for 2 hunts. Cow or bull archery and cow or bull rifle. The odss on the archery cow hunt were 1 in 15 last year.

megalomaniac

will hunt colorado on a 2nd choice archery tag next fall and keep building points in the other states.

antelope again in NM

gonna burn all my points in WY for antelope next fall as well

might go to wyoming on a private land rifle elk hunt for just the cost of the tag if my contacts come through.

might get lucky and draw a coveted tag in NM or Utah, but not holding my breath.

relocatedduckman

I'm using my come back home hunt for Elk, Deer, Antelope in Montana. Then Antelope in WY. Ducks/geese/pheasants in ND, SD, Nebraska.. KY and TN ELK..

That's about it for me..

BIGROCKREB

If I don't get drawn for Wyoming elk, I may put in for Ky & Tn.
Our sheriff went to Ky last year and killed a 6x6. He said it was the most fun he ever had hunting.

4onaside

Jugfish said:
Put in for KY. Only costs $10 per application and you can apply for 2 hunts. Cow or bull archery and cow or bull rifle. The odss on the archery cow hunt were 1 in 15 last year.
The odds are 9 times higher than that if you are not a resident, 134 to 1 is still awful high odds to beat.

4onaside

LA man said:
i have a friend that want me to go for antelope but with no pp im not likely to get drawn, that is for wyoming
Lots of wyoming units where points are not needed to get drawn. In fact some units are undersubscribed during the draw and have over the counter tags(first come first served) available after the draw.

pseshooter300

I was thinking of buying points in Colorado but I don't like there points system so I'm sticking with the other states. There is a ton of research that goes into a hunt like this. Just be prepared are you gonna go in and do a camp or you gonna setup a camp close to your truck?

SALTMAN

Colo has over the counter bull elk . archery.. lots of public land , just not as many quality animals as some other states.
year before last I drew the only non res permit on monroe mtn in Ut with 7 points. So there is always hope Soon as Ruger shows me how to post the pics I will tell the story.
Colo last year didn't get a bull , but was a great hunt will go back with same outfitter this year given the chance and same price. ( bought at auction at QDMA banquet )
I know 3 people that have drawn Ky. 2 killed great bulls 1, cow. if you don't put in you KNOW you won't get drawn .

BIGROCKREB

Well, I applied for unit 7 in Wyoming for elk. Only a 2.9% chance. That's the draw odds. But, like I said in my original post, somebody is gonna draw those tags! ;)

BIGROCKREB

I don't have any pp's for the elk drawing. This is the first time I have ever put in for elk. I just found a place to hunt, so I thought I might as well try. So I put in for it. That's what the odds are for a NR with 0 points...2.9%

But, there are X number of NR that ARE going to draw that area. Why not me? ;)

That's why I applied.

4onaside

SALTMAN said:
Colo has over the counter bull elk . archery.. lots of public land , just not as many quality animals as some other states.
year before last I drew the only non res permit on monroe mtn in Ut with 7 points. So there is always hope Soon as Ruger shows me how to post the pics I will tell the story.
Colo last year didn't get a bull , but was a great hunt will go back with same outfitter this year given the chance and same price. ( bought at auction at QDMA banquet )
I know 3 people that have drawn Ky. 2 killed great bulls 1, cow. if you don't put in you KNOW you won't get drawn .
I drew a cow tag in Kentucky the first year that I applied, 2006. However, as more and more people realize what a great deal that it is, the odds are skyrocketing. Which is not to say that I don't keep applying every year. And with only 10% of the tags available to NR, it is getting up into lottery type odds.

tellico4x4

Five years into a 6-7 year waiting list for WY elk, so will continue to build points there, as well as UT & CO. Have 8 pp's in CO, but area I want to ML hunt is now caught up in "points creep"...

In 2007, I mule deer hunted on a private ranch (250K acres) in NE Wyoming, which is not known for huge deer or elk. However this guy has been managing his elk & deer for over 15 years. While he takes about 30 deer hunters a year, he only takes 2-4 elk hunters each season. When I was in camp deer hunting, he had the 4 racks from the elk hunters a couple weeks prior to me arriving. They scored 386, 397, 406 & 429!!!

Cole (outfitter) is the past president of North American Sheep Foundation and has done a bangup job managing his animals. His mule deer hunts are great as well. The first day I hunted with him, I saw 67 different bucks. On mule deer, he offers both trophy & management buck hunts.

Latest posts