Electronics battery

BlackEagle1

Figured I would check for reviews/suggestions here before I buy...... I currently have a dedicated battery (standard/29) for all of the electronics on my boat. I recently upgraded a 9 inch screen to a 12 and draw down on long days has become an issue. I have 2 helix 10's, a 12 inch Garmin, humminbird 360,a livescope, and a power bubbles (not always used) hooked to this battery with a main cutoff. I have been considering adding a third 10 inch unit for mapping. What would y'all recommend with or without the additional unit?

Thanks!!

X-Tennessean

BlackEagle1":i93qwysl said:
Figured I would check for reviews/suggestions here before I buy...... I currently have a dedicated battery (standard/29) for all of the electronics on my boat. I recently upgraded a 9 inch screen to a 12 and draw down on long days has become an issue. I have 2 helix 10's, a 12 inch Garmin, humminbird 360,a livescope, and a power bubbles (not always used) hooked to this battery with a main cutoff. I have been considering adding a third 10 inch unit for mapping. What would y'all recommend with or without the additional unit?

Thanks!!

A group 31 for sure.
I am assuming you have one possibly two of those units at the console? What seemed to help me the most was when I reached my fishing spot I would turn the console unit screens down to 2-3 on brightness or put them in sleep mode.
Another option IF you have the room and weight is not an issue, you could go to a Trojan 12v golf cart battery or two 6v.

Me personally I would do the group 31 and turn the other units I was not looking at on standby mode. Also another key point, you did not say what gauge wire you had feeding these units?

WTM

a group 31 should run all of that, if you can fit one in the boat. a dual marine selector switch wired to both the cranking battery and the house battery would work if it drains a 31 down below minimum voltage. using that you can switch it over to charge off the motor altenator while you are running around the lake.

TRIGGER

I was running into the same issue even on a group 31 optima. I run a 15" solix, 2-9" helix and a 7" ray marine. I added a second optima along with a battery selector switch. Obviously the downside is cost and weight. One thing that makes a huge difference is not running your units on full brightness if you can get away with it and turning units to standby when not being used.

BlackEagle1

Thanks! I was down to the 31 or lithium. I considered pulling the livescope off and running it on a lithium (like a 60 AH?) by itself. My rigs a barge esp in the weight category, but to fit a #5 battery will require some creativity/serious reorganization.

All units are ran on 10 ga wire and I have been shutting the console unit down.

bluball

BlackEagle1":3vr52914 said:
Thanks! I was down to the 31 or lithium. I considered pulling the livescope off and running it on a lithium (like a 60 AH?) by itself. My rigs a barge esp in the weight category, but to fit a #5 battery will require some creativity/serious reorganization.

All units are ran on 10 ga wire and I have been shutting the console unit down.
Im in the same boat if i fish allday.Sounds like i have the same battery setup as your running.Im running 12 garmin and livescope,10 in bird and 360,9 in lowrance,2 structure scan boxes on my dedicared electronics battery now.If i fish all day not much juice left.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

scn

For the record, I wasn't casting aspersions on the deal. I'm not smart enough to even know which switches to turn on for all of those units, much less use them like they are designed.

Not being "tech savvy" sucks in today's world!

bluball

scn":254bwpqi said:
Just curious-is it still fishing for you or just video games with live targets ;) ?
Video game with live targets most of the time.Wish they were outlawed,liked it better when hard work payed off.Now anyone can find them,but you still have to catch them

BlackEagle1

It's more like spot and stalk hunting than fishing!! I haven't ran 8 rods since I bought mine, which is really nice. Some love it and others hate it. Just like the one pole guys used to complain about spider rigs. That being said, If mine quits tomorrow I'll order another one before I get home.

bluball

BlackEagle1":5dks09si said:
It's more like spot and stalk hunting than fishing!! I haven't ran 8 rods since I bought mine, which is really nice. Some love it and others hate it. Just like the one pole guys used to complain about spider rigs. That being said, If mine quits tomorrow I'll order another one before I get home.
[emoji23]exactly,i usually run 1-2rods if fishing out of the front by myself.

WTM

bluball":l92ojcos said:
scn":l92ojcos said:
Just curious-is it still fishing for you or just video games with live targets ;) ?
Video game with live targets most of the time.Wish they were outlawed,liked it better when hard work payed off.Now anyone can find them,but you still have to catch them

yeah but only die hard fishermen and tournament anglers are going to invest $3 grand into livescope. i quit spider rigging years ago and started casting to them. one thing i learned, you will catch the better fish. even getting too close to white crappie and the big fish will move. black crappie is even worse.

but like you said livescope wont catch the fish for you but may help some learn a little more about fishing and how fish react and shorten the learning curve for some, ie different presentations, casting angles, etc.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
BlackEagle1":2j707gca said:
I love my livescope. I want to add either a another garmin or HB solix beside my 8610 on the sonsole and a helix with mega360 on the bow. It just turns my stomach to think i would have that much in electronics on a boat:)

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
bluball":2ifcs3rg said:
scn":2ifcs3rg said:

IM learning and you're right . Livescope has def shortened the learning curve. Over the years ive went with guides so i have the basic stuff covered, the time consuming stuff is finding brush piles, learning boat control and then how to put all that together to catch them!!

BlackEagle1

I guess I'll try the bigger battery option if I can find one.....

You caint ever have enough electronics. I need to sell some of my older stuff and upgrade to bigger screens

bluball

BlackEagle1":3mi5fa35 said:
I guess I'll try the bigger battery option if I can find one.....

You caint ever have enough electronics. I need to sell some of my older stuff and upgrade to bigger screens
My buddy is running a large trogen golf cart battery for his electronics,i dont have enough height under my decks or thats what i would be running.He hasnt had any issues with the bug cart battery,think they weight around 100lbs a piece though

Latest posts