Eating tree bark

Tn Joe

Just watched a buck make a rub on some type of smooth bark tree. As the bark broke loose he would grab it in his mouth and start pulling it off going up the tree a couple feet, then eat it. Never seen that before. Now it looks like he made a rub 4ft tall.

Ski

I'm not so sure he was targeting the tree because he was hungry. Sounds more like he was rubbing to create a bright, easily visible marker and the bark eating was likely just opportunistic. With all the warmth and rain we're having its hard to think deer are starving. Lots of fresh new green on the ground.

RockMcL

20221130_154625.jpg

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
One year in Lewis Co . I watched a yearling pick up a twig eat the brown leaves then eat the rest of the twig like it was ice cream. There were a decent acorn crop that year too , I think they just eat that stuff as browse .

Gotta get that fiber, somehow.

RockMcL

Can't tell, but is that a sassafras? If so, deer will eat sassafras bark.
Didn't really pay attention when I had snapped the picture but probably was. There is a line/thicket of them that ends at the edge of the field there and I recall digging a few roots to to chaw on while working that area this summer.

I had heard deer don't like sassafras leaves & twig ends/buds and was not aware they liked the bark. I noticed this year that I have a lot more young sassafras and pawpaw and just assumed that the deer have other preferred browse.

My taste buds probably would agree with the deer on the smell/taste of the inner layer on the bark...

Thank you as always for your insight.

RockMcL

Looks like a sumac. Most sassafras are dying due to laurel wilt disease, especially along Ky border.
I am down near TN/AL border and we are covered up in sassafras here. I only pay attention to them in summer when leaved and this year in particular young sprouts/trees have had exponential growth. The mature ones I have noted over the years are still healthy and the roots are definitely expanding their runner range. Been know to chew a leaf or two and occasionally take a little root shoot to expose the grandkids to "sassafras" but do not use the tree medicinally or for tea.

BSK

I am down near TN/AL border and we are covered up in sassafras here. I only pay attention to them in summer when leaved and this year in particular young sprouts/trees have had exponential growth. The mature ones I have noted over the years are still healthy and the roots are definitely expanding their runner range. Been know to chew a leaf or two and occasionally take a little root shoot to expose the grandkids to "sassafras" but do not use the tree medicinally or for tea.
Did you know that in parts of the Deep South sassafras is the preferred species of tree for signpost rubs? In my part of TN, it's eastern cedar.

Latest posts