Easter bird

Grouse

Pretty epic hunt today in the hardwoods. No roost talk within earshot. I moved to another listening spot around 8:00 and heard one gobble at an airplane. about as far away as you can hear one. I called to him some but he didn't respond to me. I stayed put calling to him occasionally. I eventually left the spot and made a big loop on the property. Around 11:00 he free gobbled within 300 yards of me. I didn't want to risk finding a more ideal tree as I felt like he could see me if I did. I ended up plopping down against the log side of a blow down. He was still gobbling on his own and triple gobbling when I answered him. I then saw a hen go down the ridge strait to him. She then started fussing at me, firing him up even more. We went back and forth all the while the gobbles were getting closer. I began to hear footsteps with the gobbles. It sounded like he was going to pass from right to left so I repositioned on the blowdown .Well they made an abrupt turn cutting behind the big rootball I was against.Sounded like they were within 30 yards with the rootball between me and the birds. There were some obstructions to my right where they were headed so in the moment I decided my best bet was to slide overs few feet and lay on my belly facing the direction they were going to appear from. I validated my noise with soft yelps. Moments later the hen walked just feet from the blowdown. She seemed confused there was no hen but just kept on her course. The gobbler followed the hens exact path. I had already pointed my gun in a gap the hen stepped into. He gobbled at my soft yelp and I shot him as he finished. He dropped 7 short legged long steps away. This bird is kinda special to me as I called it off of the property I grew up on that my parents sold last winter onto an old neighbors land that still let's me hunt. This is a hunt I won't soon forget! Pictured is the tree and rootwad I was laying beside. Shot him just on the other side of that log in the background. held a little low and just barely hit his neck.

Attachments

• IMG_20210404_120652472_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20210404_120652472_HDR~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 268
  • IMG_20210404_112603975_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210404_112603975_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 210

gobbler32

Pretty epic hunt today in the hardwoods. No roost talk within earshot. I moved to another listening spot around 8:00 and heard one gobble at an airplane. about as far away as you can hear one. I called to him some but he didn't respond to me. I stayed put calling to him occasionally. I eventually left the spot and made a big loop on the property. Around 11:00 he free gobbled within 300 yards of me. I didn't want to risk finding a more ideal tree as I felt like he could see me if I did. I ended up plopping down against the log side of a blow down. He was still gobbling on his own and triple gobbling when I answered him. I then saw a hen go down the ridge strait to him. She then started fussing at me, firing him up even more. We went back and forth all the while the gobbles were getting closer. I began to hear footsteps with the gobbles. It sounded like he was going to pass from right to left so I repositioned on the blowdown .Well they made an abrupt turn cutting behind the big rootball I was against.Sounded like they were within 30 yards with the rootball between me and the birds. There were some obstructions to my right where they were headed so in the moment I decided my best bet was to slide overs few feet and lay on my belly facing the direction they were going to appear from. I validated my noise with soft yelps. Moments later the hen walked just feet from the blowdown. She seemed confused there was no hen but just kept on her course. The gobbler followed the hens exact path. I had already pointed my gun in a gap the hen stepped into. He gobbled at my soft yelp and I shot him as he finished. He dropped 7 short legged long steps away. This bird is kinda special to me as I called it off of the property I grew up on that my parents sold last winter onto an old neighbors land that still let's me hunt. This is a hunt I won't soon forget! Pictured is the tree and rootwad I was laying beside. Shot him just on the other side of that log in the background. held a little low and just barely hit his neck.
Congrats

Grouse

Sounds like a dream hunt in the timber. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Root wad a result of a tornado? Or just a random blow down?
It was indeed! This one is high on my list for sure. The blowdown was a result of some strait line wind last spring. It got my parents old place pretty bad as well.