East Tennessee

Tanelson43

Do people think there is no potential? Not wanting to ruffle any feathers but every time I see a decent deer posted it seems like there is someone who comments with something along the lines of it wouldn't make it in east Tennessee or that it would be a giant for east Tennessee. Just wanting looking for some feedback. Thanks.

MattZ9

I used to think big bucks didn't exist out here until last year. No means are these giants. But a trophy in my book

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1445564806411.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1445564806411.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,158

stringtalker

I live in east Tennessee, Monroe county and it definitely has potential. I have 130" and 140" deer on the wall and have seen bigger while out scouting. Just rougher terrain to deal with.

Tanelson43

I definitely agree. My dad and hunting buddy have killed several 140 and 150 inch deer. I have had the opportunity to get a shot at several 140+ inch deer just yet to successfully recover one. I was just curious because it seems the east takes a little hate. We have almost 1500 acres we manage. We only will shoot 4.5 year old or older bucks and are starting to see the results we have been waiting for.

Simpleman.2

Tennessee Lead":3g5zt9yl said:
Some of the biggest bucks killed in Tennessee that I've saw photos of have came from Eastern Tennessee

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

Same here. There's some bruisers up in the mountains of East Tn. I've got trail cam pics to prove it [emoji6]

Simpleman.2

I honestly don't think it's the size that draws people to middle TN but more the numbers than anything. Most hunters just like to see something while they're in the woods whether it be big or small.

THEdonkey0515

We have a room full of nice bucks killed in East Tennessee, even some killed on state land. East Tennessee is where we do 95'/Of are hunting.

Just gotta work real hard, spend A lot of time in the woods, And don't get down when your not seeing much or anything!!

Tanelson43

I know all about the rough terrain. There is some public land we hunt and it takes us walking for an hour and a half just to get there. We have killed a few deer in there and it is an all day adventure getting one out. Charlie we have problems with poachers really bad here in Morgan county. I was shown some pictures this week from a guy that had supposidly killed 4 bucks already. Didn't know the guys name or definitely would have called TWRA. We have found two huge deer dead on our property that were poached and never recovered.

shoningram

I hunt Sevier and Jefferson counties. There are deer there but you have to work for them. I have 49 acres up behind my house that I am going to focus on this year.

Winchester

East TN doesn't have the Agriculture that a lot of middle and western TN does, and other than the big woods in the Mtn areas land tracts average smaller as well. We wont ever have the # of deer that a lot of the remainder of the state does due to lack of food and habitat, but East TN definitely has some good hunting for those willing to work. I too hunt a mix of both Public and private land and have had decent success over the years killing mature bucks, it just takes commitment. We don't and wont ever have the unlimited doe harvest that unit L has but if you learn to hunt with all weapons you can kill enough does to satisfy most anyone.

shoningram

I agree Winchester. I killed a spike on public land last year and it was the first deer I had seen all year while hunting. Its about reading the sign and working the terrain. And climbing a lot of hills.

Atchman2

For me the public land is hard for a relative beginner like me to hunt. It is just so large! Hard to figure out even where to start.

Latest posts