Early scraping

BSK

Haven't actually looked for any new scrapes, but something tells me some bucks have already started scraping. While running in Percy Warner Park in Nashville this morning, I nearly physically ran into a nice 9-point buck. As I passed him at about 6 feet, I could clearly smell him. He already had a slight rutty smell. He isn't going to smell like that unless he's already peeing in scrapes.

Anyone found any scrapes already?

Ski

I haven't found any here yet but in Ohio I found a few scrapes near white oaks and found one huge scrape at a trail intersection that looked like a pig pen. I hung a camera on it and on a fresh, heavy rub line that leads from a ridge trail into a thicket 30yds away. The rub lines this time of year are what get me excited, even more so than scrapes. The fresh rub lines lead straight to where a newly shifted buck is setting up camp to call home during the fall.

BSK

Going to our place this afternoon. Plan on deploying all cameras to typical scrape locations. I'm sure they've already been making them. It's likely some will have been opened up by the time I get there
I deployed mine on to the traditional scrapes last weekend. None had been opened yet, but I'm hoping to catch the "first acts."

tree_ghost

I haven't found any here yet but in Ohio I found a few scrapes near white oaks and found one huge scrape at a trail intersection that looked like a pig pen. I hung a camera on it and on a fresh, heavy rub line that leads from a ridge trail into a thicket 30yds away. The rub lines this time of year are what get me excited, even more so than scrapes. The fresh rub lines lead straight to where a newly shifted buck is setting up camp to call home during the fall.
Most effective time to hunt rubs and I love to do it that way to! Found a big rub line that led up into a killer bed last week by using this tactic. I hung a camera off his exit trail about 140 yards down at the first set of big oaks and had a 5.5 yo on camera within 48hours…

tree_ghost

I deployed mine on to the traditional scrapes last weekend. None had been opened yet, but I'm hoping to catch the "first acts."
I have found a lot of those frustration scrapes but haven't located one that's been made and is being actively used. I do have a camera on a community scrape on public. It's been worked at least every other day all year long (since Jan). I'm the last month buck activity on it has tripled.

Ski

Most effective time to hunt rubs and I love to do it that way to! Found a big rub line that led up into a killer bed last week by using this tactic. I hung a camera off his exit trail about 140 yards down at the first set of big oaks and had a 5.5 yo on camera within 48hours…

Seems the early, heavy rub lines are generally old experienced bucks. They almost always "T" off of a well established doe trail. Nothing else I know of tips off a big boy's location better.

Trnr

Funny you should say that because I went out for an afternoon sit on Wednesday and thought I caught a whiff of the ol billy goat/rutty smell. I thought to myself that I was imagining it as I presumed it was too early.

Downside is I haven't hunted that particular piece of public in a few years, and it seems I got too close to bedding (if not in it). Funny how things change because it used to be a safe travel route for me to get in. Rookie mistake on my part for sure.

Andy S.

Some are at it. Cool temps all week has them feeling frisky.

CBF34D61-AC55-42B6-96CE-71947F8CCFFB.jpeg

volsfan1976

I found 2 fresh ones on Monday at Yuchi. My son has the juvenile hunt this weekend so im really hoping they are up and about.

WilcoKen

I've noticed mature bucks showing up early on my place this year. Lots of fighting on camera. No scapes Ive seen yet but I keep waiting to see them at the usual spots. Wilson Co.

Latest posts