Early sauger fishing

eyeseeker

Went down to Pickwick dam for a few days to try some early sauger fishing. Monday was windy and cold and only fished a couple hours but managed a keeper. Tuesday and Wednesday were much better with 4 and 7 keepers for those two days. Really liked the area and stayed at the campground at the dam. It seems to be a great place to fish and had tons of by catch to keep things interesting.

eyeseeker

We do well all summer long on the Cumberland, but recently started fishing Pickwick and can already see I need to get down there for a couple trips in January and February when they are really up there in numbers

bowhunterfanatic

We do well all summer long on the Cumberland, but recently started fishing Pickwick and can already see I need to get down there for a couple trips in January and February when they are really up there in numbers
We don't start fishing at the dam until sometime in December usually. Duck and deer season always seem to be in the way. I know they catch a few keepers starting in Nov but it's usually pretty slow until mid Dec it seems. You've got me rethinking my weekend plans!

eyeseeker

We marked very few fish and I can't say for certain that what we caught wern resident fish that stayed up there all summer. I've been looking into Pickwick landing SP for a camping trip in Jan-Feb after deer season.

JRC1

Back several years ago we would catch a few sauger every year while crappie fishing Ky lake around Paris Landing. I've never actually targeted sauger. What kind of areas do you look for when sauger fishing and what is the preferred bait?

WTM

Back several years ago we would catch a few sauger every year while crappie fishing Ky lake around Paris Landing. I've never actually targeted sauger. What kind of areas do you look for when sauger fishing and what is the preferred bait?
thats basically where they end up after the spawning run minus the ones that hang around the dam in the summer. they scatter and lay up in the deep parts of the main lake during summer and make their way back towards the dam in the fall. in the mouth of big sandy river you can catch them in summer usually when they come up to feed.

i fish the spawning run the first two weeks of feb. 1 oz hair jigs tipped with a minnow and a stinger, in certain parts of the river. got to keep it on bottom.

wcw280

68268313-12B4-45B1-B299-DEDE32920F94.jpeg
0994D015-8132-4A1F-AC25-B31A43EF1D54.jpeg
0F80EDD8-CB8E-48B2-838F-30C8FACE936F.jpeg

I can't wait for sauger fishing.

eyeseeker

Yes basically the same. I like yellow perch the best(especially from cold water) followed by sauger and then walleye. I catch a lot more walleye though. I also enjoy the fact that they are the easiest fish to fillet.

Lt.Dan

Yes basically the same. I like yellow perch the best(especially from cold water) followed by sauger and then walleye. I catch a lot more walleye though. I also enjoy the fact that they are the easiest fish to fillet.
I've never caught a Sauger. But I have caught thousands of Walleye and Yellow Perch. I like the Walleye over the perch. Maybe because the Walleye is a bigger filled. But they are both the best eating IMHO

Latest posts