Eagle's Wings Archery - Closing the Doors

John & Teresa - EWA

LETTER FROM JOHN & TERESA STANG (alias Eagle�s Wings Archery)

After 13 years of operation, Eagle�s Wings Archery has decided to close the doors. October 9 we will commence our �Quitting the business sale�, selling all inventory, fixtures, and used 3-D targets.

This has not been an easy decision and has sent us on a roller coaster ride of mixed emotions. But we�re dealing with a convergence of situations, which could be best described as the �perfect storm�.

1. Decrease in target and just plain bow shooting participation. Since 2003, we have experienced a drop of 54% in our indoor leagues; 77% drop in 3-D leagues; 75% drop in general 3-D tournaments and a 43% drop in our annual Bowhunters� Skill shoot. We are not alone in these decreases. The Tennessee State Indoor Shoot in the same time period has had a 32% drop in participants. The Archery Shooters Association (ASA) which is the predominant organization in the Southeast has had a 13% drop at their year-end Classic shoot since 2004. Additionally, six archery clubs within a 60-mile radius of us have closed.

2. Decrease in hunters. National surveys show that there has been a decrease of 10% in hunters. The lack of land to hunt on, time constraints, PETA and change of interests have all played a part in this.

3. Internet. There has been a steady increase of people making their purchases via the internet. This provides convenience, no travel time, no gas money and in some cases, no sales tax.

4. Big Box Stores. The perception is that the big box stores have better prices. Note it is a perception and often not the case. They do, however, have the staffing and financial backing that unlike �mom & pop� stores allows them to be open 7 days a week for very extended hours.

5. The Economy. Current economic conditions have affected everyone. Our customer base has needed to cut back on purchases. At the same time our operating expenses have gone up � gas, electric, etc.

Anyone one of these issues by itself would be manageable but the combined effect has been a significant decrease in sales volume at the same time of increasing costs. In other words, �The Perfect Storm.� Our shop, with its indoor range, 3-D range, and pro shop is simply more facility than the market can support. Archery Pro Shops across the country are becoming an �endangered species.�

In 1995 when we started the shop, we were determined to not only provide product, but service, coaching and facilities for those interested in shooting. As such we leased adjacent property for a 3-D range and in 1996 took on a building addition for an indoor range which opened in 1996. We made sure we always stocked an assortment of equipment to be able to accommodate men, women, kids, right hand, left hand, bowhunters, tournament shooters, backyard shooters, traditional shooters, compound shooters and crossbow shooters. By our own choice we elected not to dilute our archery business with other sporting goods items.

We want to thank those of you who have been such loyal customers. We have valued not only your business but your friendship as well. We have tried to be a part of your enjoyment and to contribute to that as much as our skills allowed. In many cases we have been successful and in others we have not. For those we have disappointed, our apologies. We always tried to provide the best service that we could. We�ve been through births and deaths together, you�ve shared your successes and failures with us and if we ever seemed to take you for granted that was never our intention.

Again our sincere thanks to all who have been part of us and Eagle�s Wings Archery. When we started Eagle�s Wings it was after a lot of prayer. Our name is taken from Isaiah 40:31; �But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles;. they shall run and not be weary; and they shall walk and not faint.� We have truly found the wisdom in this quote from Isaiah. We feel that now is the time to do our accounting before the King of Kings. May He and He alone judge us on how we handled His affairs and how we, His servants, conducted ourselves. We know he has forgiven us for the times we screwed up and blessed us on how we have tried to be his stewards.

Our �Quitting the business sale� will start Thursday, October 9th and will continue until we�ve sold everything. The hours will be Mondays through Fridays from 10am till 7pm and Saturdays from 9am till 6pm. If you have the time and the inclination we would enjoy seeing you all.

As to the question �Will there be an Eagle�s Wings Sequel?�. We will continue to follow His council and �wait upon the Lord.�

May God bless you all and may we all come together for one big archery tournament or hunt when we gather together after the Lord has called us home.

John & Teresa

JeepKuntry

Sorry to hear this! Good luck to you guys on what you decide to do in life. I'm sure you'll see me up that way sometime before you close.

String Music

I'm sorry to hear that! I emailed you about the bow I just bought from you guys. I realized I need a short draw length on my bow and was hoping you could help me out. Other than that, I love my new Journey!

JRE

Sorry to hear it. One question, when I bought my new Mathews from you in 2007 your shop took care of registering the bow with Mathews in case there were future warranty issues. Will I need to get any documents from Eagle Wings as proof of being the original owner in case I have to send the bow directly to Mathews for future warranty work?

Rickym

JRE said:
Sorry to hear it. One question, when I bought my new Mathews from you in 2007 your shop took care of registering the bow with Mathews in case there were future warranty issues. Will I need to get any documents from Eagle Wings as proof of being the original owner in case I have to send the bow directly to Mathews for future warranty work?

Mathews has all your warranty info. The dealers send it in to them. Any mathews dealer can do the warranty work. It doesn't have to be the dealer you bought it from.

bohun10g

BOWdacious said:
You just won't find one nearby that is as good as John.
Ditto on that .I have bought several bows from John and his staff at Eagles Wing Archery shop.You all will really be missed.It is hard to find a good place to go and no matter where you are from or who you are you where treated like you were family.May God be with you in the good and not so good times.Thank you all for your hard work at Eagles Wing.You will really be missed.

Boone 58

Sad indeed! Wish you well and hope there is a sequel when the eye of the storm passes. All bad things in life can be summed up in the statement..."and it came to "pass".....hopefully the passing will bring new and exciting things from the Lord!

Latest posts