Dwarf Chinkapin Oaks

woodsandwater

went online and found some- sounds pretty neat- smaller trees (somtimes referred to as a bush!) that drop acorns quickly and are native to the U.S. Still would like to know if they need as much sun as sawtooths?

woodsandwater

According the owner, he had some dwarf chinkapins in 3 gallon containers that were already starting to bear acorns! We will see how they do because I ordered some! I'll let you know how they look and do!

WDS

We planted some dwarf chinkapins several years ago. The seedlings were about 1' in height. Even with tree protectors the growing is VERY, VERY slow in our experience.

wildlifegroup.com is absolutely super. They have super quality and are willing to help you in any way. I have no complaints whatsoever.

WDS

Nope. Like I said, they were only 1' tall when planted as seedlings. They were not container trees. They have grown to about 3' in two years. The max height is supposed to be 8-12' tall, with a sprawling crown and prolific small acorns. I planted them in isolated areas on field edges on our Perry Co property just to see what they would do and have something for my 3 girls to hunt over with thier children.......in about 20 years. I would suggest that you keep the area around your tree protectors clear of any growth at least to the drip line on trees that are the height of yours. I am keeping a 3' diameter "growth free" around our chinkapins. IN fact, you can pick up some material at Home Depot/Lowes to place around the bottom of your protectors that will inhibit weed/grass growth. Use large framing staples to pin the material down....that will usually do the trick. I also keep peripheral areas growth free with glyphosate. Rain will pass through the material as will fertilizer. Good luck.

Latest posts